Tree maintenance during drought

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I live in So Cal and as everyone knows, we have a drought going on with water restrictions. I am fairly new to taking care of trees / plants and while racking the dead leaves I thought it might be best to leave them in the base. This way they can create a shade over the dirt and keep the water from evaporating as fast. Or is it best to clean everything out? I thought about putting down mulch, but I don't want to attract termites.

What are your thoughts?

34qr03l.jpg

n66rzb.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm saddened by that news of a waterless California. A first world country like America suffering from lack of water, tsk, tsk. Anyway, that tree may die if not watered properly. In times like that, the men would urinate on the tree so it can have some liquid somehow. This is not a joke. And we also use the water from the laundry. Despite the soap, what the tree needs is the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your thinking is absolutely correct. The leaves will act as a mulch and will help keep the soil cooler and they will also help conserve what little moisture is left. You need a bunch more leaves though. And do not invite all of your friends over for a pee on the tree party. All of that nitrogen will burn the roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with you about keeping those leaves there to protect the soil a little from drying up so fast. My sister who lives in Santa Barbara has the same problem, and I am here in Michigan having too much rain. Wish I could send a couple of rainy days to you all!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
If you have young trees then you can consider having bottles full of water for each tree. Pierce small holes at the bottom of each bottle. Add water into the bottles and then place them near each tree. This will help in watering your trees for a long time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If you have young trees then you can consider having bottles full of water for each tree. Pierce small holes at the bottom of each bottle. Add water into the bottles and then place them near each tree. This will help in watering your trees for a long time.

That sounds interesting... Can you post a link to pictures or videos explaining this process?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That sounds interesting... Can you post a link to pictures or videos explaining this process?
What I think the poster is referring to is obtaining a plastic bottle like a 2 liter soft drink bottle or a gallon milk jug and with an ice pick or tiny drill bit puncturing the bottom of the the bottle, filling it with water and then placing it close to plant and let the water slowly drain out. Folks have been doing this for container plants forever as it is a good means to slowly water a plant with a limited volume of soil. On a tree, in the ground with a large volume of soil however, you would be better off using a hose or a drip system and saturating the soil once a month than by using the limited amount of water the containers would provide. You would have to fill up the containers numerous times every day so as to not have your water all evaporate before it soaked deep enough into the soil to actually reach the roots where the water is needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
What I think the poster is referring to is obtaining a plastic bottle like a 2 liter soft drink bottle or a gallon milk jug and with an ice pick or tiny drill bit puncturing the bottom of the the bottle, filling it with water and then placing it close to plant and let the water slowly drain out. Folks have been doing this for container plants forever as it is a good means to slowly water a plant with a limited volume of soil. On a tree, in the ground with a large volume of soil however, you would be better off using a hose or a drip system and saturating the soil once a month than by using the limited amount of water the containers would provide. You would have to fill up the containers numerous times every day so as to not have your water all evaporate before it soaked deep enough into the soil to actually reach the roots where the water is needed

Currently I slowly fill up the base in the evenings to let the water saturate the soil. I came across a few posts mentioning "punch holes" around the base of the tree and then water them. Not sure how you put thin holes around the tree without damaging the roots... digging with a shovel will be a bit much wont it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Currently I slowly fill up the base in the evenings to let the water saturate the soil. I came across a few posts mentioning "punch holes" around the base of the tree and then water them. Not sure how you put thin holes around the tree without damaging the roots... digging with a shovel will be a bit much wont it?
It looks from the picture that the tree sits in a depression in the soil with the root flare showing, which is perfect. As long as you are in drought restrictions slowly filling it up once a week is plenty. Once the soil in the deeper levels is moist and stays moist the tree will be fine and you will not have to water as often. Filling the depression with mulch or leaves will help enormously.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I dumped 2 trashcans full of pine needles from around my yard. Left about 3-4 inches clear around the trunk. What do you guys think?

28incwk.jpg

Ask a Question