Low Maintenance Rose?

Reaction score
I know of people who spend a lot of time working on their roses to get them to be really beautiful and continue flowering for a long time. I would definitely call most roses high maintenance plants.

Are there any types of roses that are low maintenance?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I believe that miniatures are low maintenance. They really don't need anything special. I have to wash my roses a few times a week, but it's only because I have a problem with spider mites.
Other than that, I don't need to do much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have several own-root, "antique" roses, and they are low maintenance. I prune them in February, give them a bit of composted manure, and sit back and enjoy. We don't spray, dead-head only if we feel like it, and give away bouquets. Bon Silene (deep pink), Nacogdoches (yellow), Caldwell Pink, Crimson Cascade, Old Blush--all do very well.
We also have a few David Austin roses, and if chosen carefully, they are as care-free as the antiques. Lady Hillingdon, Saphrona, Dark Lady are great roses.

Reaction score
I have a rose bush which is very stubborn. It blossoms every other year. I consider it a mystery rose bush. One year I just knew it was dead. Then just when I was thinking of uprooting it, it burst into bloom. I think it's playing with me.

Reaction score
As extra low maintenance roses appear to be becoming more and more popular - there is now plenty of choice when it comes choosing low maintenance roses and more varieties arriving each year - in a variety of sizes too - like for instance there are many well known Shrub Roses that are extremely easy care - as well as the low maintenance Rosa Rugosa, Rosa Banksiae, Flower Carpet Roses and the new Drift Roses that were introduced this year - all of which are long blooming, virtually pest free and very low maintenance.

However I have to say that I've never really found roses to be high maintenance at all - as although I generally only prune and feed mine once a year - they all bloom for most the year with the occasional bit of deadheading - in fact I have an evergreen Rosa Banksiae that gets very little attention and yet it flowers abundantly year after year - even though it only gets pruned every time its outgrown its allotted space - which is generally every 2 or 3 years :)

Ask a Question