Best quick growing, easy maintenance?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like your recommendations on a quick growing easy maintenance shrub or hedge. I have a good bit of space so size is not exactly a problem but I want the bare areas gone quick. I live in Maryland to give you an idea of my growing area.

Thanks!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Myself, I'd go with Pussy willow. We had one outside my bedroom window when I was a kid, so I admit to being biased! But it was fun, first you get the pretty silver-white catkins which can be brought in to put in a vase. (And rub on your face, because they are soft and fuzzy. :love: ) Then, you get pretty little yellow flowers to put in the vase. They'll root in water; I remember seeing that happen, too. Cool!! :cool: We pruned ours once a year.

They are considered a bit invasive. (Don't plant near water lines, sewer lines or septic tank fields!) I read an article that said that the person had pruned theirs, and left the pruned bits on the ground (got busy doing something else, I can relate!!) But they came back 3-4 days later, and the clippings already were trying to root. So, you probably only have to buy one, then prune and plant!! ;)

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/pussy-willow/growing-pussy-willows.htm

Ask a Question