Best Food Combinations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Because I..well, I suck at cooking basically, I was looking for some help and found this website that interconnects a huge list of possible combinations of ingredients one might consider for dinner. I bookmarked it, and tonight I was deleting bookmarks and found it again so I thought I would share.

Food Combinator Site

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's no good. When I entered my starting point it defaulted to DARK beer which is an offense against man and nature. Light beer taste great and is less filling...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 7/RHS H5
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure either. It would rather put mint witth rum than potato or lamb and no results for chillies, fennel seeds or nigella seeds! Put garlic in and it would rather add it to cabbage (and dark beer) than onions, of which there is no mention, and even has the temerity to suggest adding it to samphire!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Potato chips and french fries comes back with... "No results". How moronic is that? It gets worse, it's anti-Redneck. Bar-B-Qued Ribs and fried chicken in... "No results; No results". What are we supposed to eat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It depends on how hungry you are...and I would suggest most people don't get too hungry anymore in today's modern world.

I didn't (although I didn't know real hunger at the time); however, I got an inkling of what true hunger was during my first hike on the Appalachian Trail, back in the early-80's.

We were on the part of the AT in Maine that is referred to as the 100-mile wilderness, because it's the most remote section of the AT. We started off with just enough food to barely get us thru (the recommend you take no less than 10-days worth -- and that's with rationing).

About 1/2-way thru we got caught in a very nasty sleet storm (this was in July, believe it or not) and we were hold up for a couple days. Long story short, we got really low on food and were still having to make miles over mountains, I remember eating an onion, like it was an apple and it wasn't bad, not tasty like an apple, but otherwise I would have never eaten an raw onion like it was an apple.

When we finally got close to civilization, we came across picnic'ers and they could see the desperation for food on our face, but unfortunately they were at the end of their picnic and most the food was gone; however, I distinctly remember eating a bag of potato chips using ketchup as dip and I was loving it like no other meal before...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It depends on how hungry you are...and I would suggest most people don't get too hungry anymore in today's modern world.

I didn't (although I didn't know real hunger at the time); however, I got an inkling of what true hunger was during my first hike on the Appalachian Trail, back in the early-80's.

We were on the part of the AT in Maine that is referred to as the 100-mile wilderness, because it's the most remote section of the AT. We started off with just enough food to barely get us thru (the recommend you take no less than 10-days worth -- and that's with rationing).

About 1/2-way thru we got caught in a very nasty sleet storm (this was in July, believe it or not) and we were hold up for a couple days. Long story short, we got really low on food and were still having to make miles over mountains, I remember eating an onion, like it was an apple and it wasn't bad, not tasty like an apple, but otherwise I would have never eaten an raw onion like it was an apple.

When we finally got close to civilization, we came across picnic'ers and they could see the desperation for food on our face, but unfortunately they were at the end of their picnic and most the food was gone; however, I distinctly remember eating a bag of potato chips using ketchup as dip and I was loving it like no other meal before...
LoL..When I was in Bethel, Alaska in the 1,2,3,4 school grade, my Dad would disappear in a CAP flight looking for hikers in the wild. Sometimes he would come back and say they should have brought bacon with them. Vegetarians would die in the outback of Alaska.

Last edited:

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Well i'm one of them as I only eat my evening meal at 4pm or just after and if hubby mentions food of a morning I tell him to give it a break, it makes me feel :vomit: food being mentioned before it's time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because I..well, I suck at cooking basically, I was looking for some help and found this website that interconnects a huge list of possible combinations of ingredients one might consider for dinner. I bookmarked it, and tonight I was deleting bookmarks and found it again so I thought I would share.

Food Combinator Site
This is another site. Just add your ingredients.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 7/RHS H5
Country
United Kingdom
Because I..well, I suck at cooking basically, I was looking for some help
If you really do suck just remember the four/five basic tastes;
  • Salt
  • Sweet
  • Sour
  • Bitter
  • Umami (much harder to quantify and not essential in my opinion, but nice)
Try this if you want something simple and tasty. It's a hot tomato dressing for pasta (as opposed to a sauce);

(per person)
  1. Put dried pasta on to boil (I like fussilli)
  2. Halve and or quarter 10 to 15 cherry tomatoes and put in a nonstick pan with a desertspoon of good olive oil on a gentle heat
  3. Add a one finger pinch of salt, sugar and a teaspoon of balsamic vinigar. If the toms are out of season shop bought you can up these amounts to taste. Add a two or three finger pinch of nigella seed (a nice mild bitter taste). Add fresh ground pepper to taste if you wish.
  4. In another pan start to saute some mushrooms (this is the Umami). You can add diced chorizo to this if you wish for a couple of minutes towards the end.
  5. Keep moving the toms. If the tommies start to get a little dry add some of the pasta water as you go.
  6. When the pasta is done drain and fold it into the tommy dressing and plate up.
  7. Add the mushrooms on top. If you have just mushrooms you can add a couple of drops of dark soy sauce (off the heat) and stir the 'shrooms quickly.
  8. Crumble a mild chalky white cheese over this (in the UK I would recommend Wensleydale) and sprinle with chopped watercress.
It is that simple. It's all done in the time that it takes the pasta to cook. With a couple of changes you can use this as the base for several different dishes (prawns, Sicilian sausage etc). It is less about saying that I suck at cooking and more about saying I can do that. Simple flavours, no technique and a good result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I use BBC Good Food all the time, it's a great resource :)

Has anyone here watched Salt Fat Acid Heat? It's on Netflix. It's really interesting, I'm halfway through at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
On the subject of food...

I like to keep my weight down to under 12 stone. (I still have a waist).

I only have one "proper" meal a day around 7.00pm..

This worries my wife, but if she piles my plate up I don't eat all of it.

I've relented to having breakfast on days other than my three golf days, which is two Weetabix, some milk, a cup of black coffee, no sugar.

I now have two slices of toast from a small Warburtons seeded loaf, with some butter, plus my black coffee..

I've found as part of a "calorie controlled diet" an ideal lunch is a toasted Sainsbury's currant teacake. Now these are 80p for a pack of four, so they are mostly air, but you feel as if you've eaten something. I do also have an apple. I don't have sugar with anything not even cereal, I do drink quite a lot of tea and one cappuccino a day. I don't eat sweets and don't drink much. I occasionally have a bottle of wine, which lasts me a week-end. I have a fridge full of Budweiser in our tea-house that has been there since the summer, as I'd have a couple if I were out gardening for a few hours when it's hot. But none since then.
Even so, my weight hardly varies, despite seemingly being always on the go, mostly on my feet doing stuff. But I'd like to lose about 5lb.

Her latest "ploy" is making soup in her soup-maker, she's had it for nearly two years and had yet to use it. The family don't call her "The Gadget Queen" for nothing, she has so many.

This is quite irresistible as it's really nice. She makes it around 6.00pm. A different variety each day. So I can't resist it as I feel hungry, then of course dinner follows an hour later.

Last edited:

Ask a Question