Starting garden maintenance.

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone! My mother and I just started renting a house and we planted grass for the first time as well. We were told t let it grow uncut for a month to let it look more natural but, now that time has passed, our yard looks like a jungle! We don't really have any gardening tools since we used to live in an apartment and we don't want to accidentally kill the grass since it was a bit pricey to bring in as well. What are your suggestions to make it look more presentable?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone! My mother and I just started renting a house and we planted grass for the first time as well. We were told t let it grow uncut for a month to let it look more natural but, now that time has passed, our yard looks like a jungle! We don't really have any gardening tools since we used to live in an apartment and we don't want to accidentally kill the grass since it was a bit pricey to bring in as well. What are your suggestions to make it look more presentable?
I would start with a lawn mower. You're not going to hurt grass by mowing it. It likes to be cut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
When you cut it for the first time with a lawn mower, cut it on the highest level. leave the cutting on the lawn that will feed it also. cut it also when you think the next day it will rain (if you can schedule that)

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Okay, we officially (finally), mowed the lawn! Now we are moving on to making it look pretty. This is getting hard though since there is a huge mango tree branch from our neighbors dropping stuff on our lawn. We are debating telling them to cut the branch or waiting and getting free mangos.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can't go wrong with a lawn mower because its one of the equipments that are easily available on rental basis. You can also use a cutlass to cut the grass. It is a sharp gentle tool that doesn't interfere with the growth of the grass.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I am sorry to hear that you have a jungle on your hand, but the good news is that you can always cut down, but you can never force growth so you are in the better of those two positions. I would agree with some of the users and say your basic lawnmower is a good place to start to make the grass look nice. I would say go that route and use some other tools, and on top of that just have a plan and follow through. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question