Suggestions For Installing New Greenhouse?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I’m new to growing food and I’m interested in installing a greenhouse. I do get a lot of wind especially in the evenings, and I’m unsure as to how to anchor down my greenhouse. I was thinking of using rebar stakes to hold down the frame. The other question is the location and position, I live in St George, Utah (desert) and my back yard faces East, I’m thinking of placing it in the south of my property, and situated due East and west. Lots of natural light during the day, but maybe too much in the summers when it gets 113 degrees? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you and thanks for having me here!

Attachments

• 21FDCA96-96D1-4A7C-8C9E-8C40B896B65A.jpeg
    21FDCA96-96D1-4A7C-8C9E-8C40B896B65A.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

I'd position it close to a fence for a bit of protection.

I'd lay some large what we would call Corporation pavingstones, to form a base, tamping them down with a length of 3" X 2" and a lump hammer, then place a spirit level on the timber and check in all directions to make sure it's level. Also that they are higher than the ground around them.
Then screw the base to the paving stones.

You can paint on greenhouse shading for the hottest months.

You can over complicate putting up a greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi and welcome.

I'd position it close to a fence for a bit of protection.

I'd lay some large what we would call Corporation pavingstones, to form a base, tamping them down with a length of 3" X 2" and a lump hammer, then place a spirit level on the timber and check in all directions to make sure it's level. Also that they are higher than the ground around them.
Then screw the base to the paving stones.

You can paint on greenhouse shading for the hottest months.

You can over complicate putting up a greenhouse.

Thank you so much for the information!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Do I understand correctly from the picture you have already constructed the frame in place and are asking how to anchor it? What is the foundation? Do the posts go into the soil or just lay on top?

Adding anchor posts would be an option I would consider.

This one has a wooden foundation with the posts attached...but I would add anchor posts if it were mine.

th.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine came with a steel base. I made a foundation out of old rubble then cemented the base to itwith a layer of cement over the rubble to hold it together that went over the edge of the metal base. It has weathered a few storms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do I understand correctly from the picture you have already constructed the frame in place and are asking how to anchor it? What is the foundation? Do the posts go into the soil or just lay on top?

Adding anchor posts would be an option I would consider.

This one has a wooden foundation with the posts attached...but I would add anchor posts if it were mine.

View attachment 92430

Mine came with just the metal base. I guess I was trying to learn if I should put it directly in the dirt and anchor with rebar, or if I needed to attach it to a foundation, like the one you shared.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's essential it sits on a flat surface. The frames are usually aluminium which on their own are flimsy, but support a lot of weight with the glass. This will distort the frame if it isn't completely level.

Ask a Question