Shrub suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for plant suggestions. Have a triangular corner of an inner walled garden that’s about 3m sq currently structured with a well-trimmed conifer that needs some friends. I want some shrubs that don’t mind some annual pruning, preferably those that flower for the bees. A friend recommends Hebe or Fuchsia, but looking for a complementary variety in my selection, of similar type. Previously I had lavender and heather which went leggy and didn’t appreciate being cut back so removed them. The soil is acidic clay but I have dug through some well rotted manure. The climate here in west Wales is very wet so no chance of summer drought, nor subject to frost as it’s a mile from the sea and the aspect is sunny. Might also need a spiky shrub that attacks cats bottoms from granny pooh lady next door. Suggestions welcome.
Corner.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

How acidic is the soil? Is the pH less than 6? For now, I won't focus only on acid-lovers, but perhaps that will need to be revisited

Maybe a tall Fuchsia behind the conifer pillar and few Clematis vines on the wall. A few tendrils of the Clematis can be allowed onto the conifer as well. Another lower shrub in the narrower half of the triangle would be good; a Hebe as you mention, or perhaps a Rose (Rosa) Then add a Bellfower (Campanula), Larkspur (Dephinium), or Foxglove (Digitalis) in the very middle. Complete with low plants in the front, Primrose (Primula), Viola, Geranium, etc. Switch out summer and Winter annuals wherever there is a bare spot.

Dense planting and setting metal grid wire screens on the ground can be good way to prevent the digging of cats. The metal screening can be hidden under a thin layer of bark or wood chip mulch.

Ask a Question