Shrubs to plant between bamboo?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Got four bamboos about 1m apart in a raised bed. Looking for ideas on what shrubs will grow well between them and fill up the space. Looking for something 1m or above.
thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are always so many possibilities when a plant suggestion is asked for. Also, not seeing the space, I must fly blind, so to speak.
I prefer strong contrast between plants, so perhaps something like Fatsia japonica, which would visually fill the space with its bold foliage, while still leaving empty space within to avoid overcrowding.
If you were thinking of a more typically bushy shrub, perhaps a Camellia spp. or Spotted Laurel (Aucuba japonica).

Actually, I will lobby for one each of all three suggestions, rather than three of one. Repetition is so over-rated in garden design.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Both of those selections look promising to me. I'll check them out.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pleasure, and of course there are so many other options. I do hope I understood your situation correctly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even if it is a running-type Bamboo I would still plant shrubs and other plants around them. Not all bamboos are so relentless in their spread and having other established plants nearby could further limit its growth. Of course one could always put in rhizome barriers as well. Of course, these are all hypotheticals, at this point.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a variegated Vinca growing in one of mine, keep trying to remove it, without success.
A hardy geranium grows at the front and I have a clematis trained to grow through it. Roots off to on eside.
The main thing would be water, particularly for Camellia that need water in summer to form flower buds. Depending on where you are in the country you may need to do more or less watering. Raised beds also tend to dry out fairly easily.
Whatever you grow will require plenty of watering and feeding until established and then probably during summers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
bamboo. The only plant I wish I had been wise enough to have never planted in my 40+ years of gardening. Once established you won’t need to worry about companion plants.

Ask a Question