Re. Fast Growing (Flowering) Shrubs that Grow Well Around Eucalyptus and Pine

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Looking for some fast growing shrubs - preferably flowering - that grow well around eucalyptus and pine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So many possibilities. This could be fun thread with many interesting ideas. I'll begin with one.

Bottlebrushes (Callistemon spp. and hybrids). There is a wide selection of drought tolerant shrubs in this genus. Bottlebrush vary from groundcovers to small trees and every size in-between. Besides low ater use, they also will grow in a most soil types and have few diseases or insect pests, at least in North America. Flower colors include reds, yellows, pinks, lavenders, and creamy whites. The flowers are quite popular with both honeybees and hummingbirds.

They do very well growing with my Eucalyptus and pines in both sun and semi-shade conditions. That is why I thought of them first.
None need pruning, but I do have a few Callistemon citrinus that I do prune one a year to control their height. I prune by branch thinning, which I find far preferable to hedging.

Callistemon is now sometimes included in the genus Melaleuca, which is another genus containing similarly useful shrubs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Another Australian genus that would work well is Grevillea. The larger hybrids like Long John, Scarlet Sprite and Penola grow reasonably quickly. Abelia is another species that blooms well and can take most any condition. There are low-growing varieties and several variegated ones that would give color all year without having the seasonality of flowers, although it does bloom all summer too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
So many possibilities. This could be fun thread with many interesting ideas. I'll begin with one.

Bottlebrushes (Callistemon spp. and hybrids). There is a wide selection of drought tolerant shrubs in this genus. Bottlebrush vary from groundcovers to small trees and every size in-between. Besides low ater use, they also will grow in a most soil types and have few diseases or insect pests, at least in North America. Flower colors include reds, yellows, pinks, lavenders, and creamy whites. The flowers are quite popular with both honeybees and hummingbirds.

They do very well growing with my Eucalyptus and pines in both sun and semi-shade conditions. That is why I thought of them first.
None need pruning, but I do have a few Callistemon citrinus that I do prune one a year to control their height. I prune by branch thinning, which I find far preferable to hedging.

Callistemon is now sometimes included in the genus Melaleuca, which is another genus containing similarly useful shrubs.
Thankyou very much. Bottle brush grow very well here. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Another Australian genus that would work well is Grevillea. The larger hybrids like Long John, Scarlet Sprite and Penola grow reasonably quickly. Abelia is another species that blooms well and can take most any condition. There are low-growing varieties and several variegated ones that would give color all year without having the seasonality of flowers, although it does bloom all summer too.
Thankyou very much. Here, in Zone 10-A, can both of those take some shade and still grow well?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of the commonly planted Callistemon and Grevillea can take some shade, but not full shade. Try to give them at least half a day of sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you gardening under pines with short needles (4" or less)? These will drop into shrubs without hanging up on leaves and branches. If it's a pine with longer needles, you will constantly be cleaning them off. We have Canary Island Pines (10-12" needles) that are a real pain to grow anything nice under due to always being covered with needles. They don't necessarily smother them, they just look awful all the time.
If that's not the case, try Photinia, Cestrum, Brunfelsia, Ginger, Hibiscus (if it's light shade), Brugmansi or Justicia.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, grooming plants under trees, especially pine trees is a wearisome task. I do knock some needles off occasionally, but overall it is a compromise between visual perfection and tedious labor. If you (and others nearby) can tolerate a leafblower, that would help. Personally, I prefer leaf litter to that.

The Callistemon seem to hold fewer needles than other nearby shrubs, such as Pittosporum tobira.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Are you gardening under pines with short needles (4" or less)? These will drop into shrubs without hanging up on leaves and branches. If it's a pine with longer needles, you will constantly be cleaning them off. We have Canary Island Pines (10-12" needles) that are a real pain to grow anything nice under due to always being covered with needles. They don't necessarily smother them, they just look awful all the time.
If that's not the case, try Photinia, Cestrum, Brunfelsia, Ginger, Hibiscus (if it's light shade), Brugmansi or Justicia.
Appreciate the information. There a just a few pines, in comparison to the more frequent Eucalyptus trees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Most of the commonly planted Callistemon and Grevillea can take some shade, but not full shade. Try to give them at least half a day of sun.
Appreciate the great information. Picked up two Grevillea (Grevillea Winpara Gem) - will see how they do - hoping for the best. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Was also thinking of some nice ground covers to plant - that work well in Zone 10A (Dry, warm to hot partial sun location).

Suggestions are appreciated. :)

Ask a Question