Stranger Things

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes I am a fan of the show but this thread is for any plants and wildlife that just seems odd that many people don't know exist. So far on this raining day I discovered green woodpeckers and black apples so it inspired me to make this thread. I love learning, I love nature and I love when it blows my mind. So if you know of something odd this is the place to post it. Feed my mind! Lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Black apples do exist. Here is what you need to know about them. Black diamond apples are a rare variety of apples belonging to the family of Huaniu apples (the Chinese Red Delicious apple), which originated from China. Though known as black diamond, the actual colour of these apples is dark purple.

1873150-fresh-1545579207.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The European green woodpecker is a large green woodpecker with a bright red crown and a black moustache.

large.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I knew about these but still way cool!

Most of the world's glowing mushrooms belong to the genus Mycena. Mycena chlorophos' pale-green glow is visible because it occurs in its fruiting body, not just in its mycelia. It's brightest when it's just one day old and the temperature is around 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

biofung_2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dracula simia, called also monkey orchid or the monkey-like Dracula, is an epiphytic orchid originally described in the genus Masdevallia, but later moved to the genus Dracula.

Also off google:

The monkey face orchid is one of the rarest species of orchids in the world. It's also very unique in the orchid world. It's flowers smell like ripe oranges, and they take around seven years to flower. Seven years!

images.jpeg

221a3377fb47c22e0be842b895800f0f.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Most rare flower in the world:

The Middlemist's Red blooms better in an environment that provides light to partial shade, and they do well under the shade of tall trees. However, it was demised after being transported from China to England even after being in its local habitat, so the only answer that would make sense is that it was over cultivated.

d8b6a5ecdde8a0870aede0713bf1164b.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not uncommon to know, considering they were sent into space. But the tardigrade aka water bear is my favorite thing my son and I look for under our microscopes. We usually find them in moss but have even found them in lettuce. So yes, you are eating these when you have a salad lol... So much for veganism 🤣

01-tardigrades-sciencesource_ss2437867_square.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
This one isn't shocking and most probably know about it, but I find it very fascinating that plants especially trees have a protective mechanism which kicks in during times of drought to protect the tree/plant's survival.

We had a case on here just recently...trees dropping their leaves as a protective mechanism against drought. Nature is absolutely incredible.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This one isn't shocking and most probably know about it, but I find it very fascinating that plants especially trees have a protective mechanism which kicks in during times of drought to protect the tree/plant's survival.

We had a case on here just recently...trees dropping their leaves as a protective mechanism against drought. Nature is absolutely incredible.

Like dictamnus albus, the gas plant. It can spontaneously combust to make room for it's seeds to grow. Very cool. But yes, my big maple tree always sheds some of it's green leaves during drought, also very cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dracula simia, called also monkey orchid or the monkey-like Dracula, is an epiphytic orchid originally described in the genus Masdevallia, but later moved to the genus Dracula.

Also off google:

The monkey face orchid is one of the rarest species of orchids in the world. It's also very unique in the orchid world. It's flowers smell like ripe oranges, and they take around seven years to flower. Seven years!

View attachment 99223

View attachment 99224
Wow. Creepy kinda. You should have posted that in that monthly picture thing?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wow. Creepy kinda. You should have posted that in that monthly picture thing?
They are creepy looking lol. The pic of the month contest is only for pictures taken by the member, so I wouldn't be able to use any of these. Would definitely be a cool entry though if someone had one.

Ask a Question