Stranger in Paradise ...

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello, I retired from blacksmithing in Yorkshire, and moved to southern Spain, to get out of the rain.
My garden is on the side of a canyon, steeply terraced, and south facing, I glimpse the sea through a gap in the foothills .
I moved in on April 1st 2017…

There´s a wide variety of fruit and nuts, not all of which I can identify.
My favourite is the Feijoa.
I just wish I liked avocados.
There are three growing seasons, but now it´s time to prune.
My main source of water is melted snow from the Sierra Nevada, rain is rare.
I´m completely out of my depth, but it´s the sort of garden you could easily ¨drown¨ in.
The ¨Bottom of the Garden¨ goes down to the rio Lanjaron, yet is totally inaccessible.
Saludos from Lanjaron !

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Thanks Sean. The estate agent´s video will give you an idea.

The house has no name or address, but I was tempted to call it Slipten Fell.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Good morning LouisFerdinand, in Yorkshire the signs of Spring are eagerly awaited, so the sight of snowdrops and bluebells was always very special. Regarding you location, the Banks of the Ohio is one of the few tunes I´ve learned on my Deering banjo.

Thanks for the welcome Sheal, and yes, no lawns, but a bit of ¨pasture¨ somewhat churned up by the wild boar who party there after I´ve watered the trees.
Do not for a moment think that lets me off the hook -- we get a bit nervous about fires here, and it´s my ¨civic duty¨ to strimm the grass and weeds. When everything is cut and on the ground there is not the same risk of fire shooting up the terraces as there is with tall dry standing grass. Since my land is on both sides of a well-used scenic pathway, my garden gets plenty of attention from the locals and tourists alike, and the former are very helpful, as far as my poor Spanish language skills allow.

I get a licence to burn the prunings from the trees, under very stringent conditions, and since there hasn´t been much pruning done for a few years there´s a huge backlog both to cut and burn. Working yesterday it was warm enough to take my shirt off, and pick an orange.
I think it will be warmer today.

Ask a Question