Starting marigolds from seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I need to get some good seeds this time.

I save the seeds from the flowers after the blooms are spent. If I ever figure out where everything is I can send you some. Ever since the two moves for last year's renovation I can never find anything!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had! They were wonderful for about two years but by the third year, they didn't do well or germinated at all. This year I bought new seeds and hopefully they will germinate and give me bushy and healthy ones :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I had! They were wonderful for about two years but by the third year, they didn't do well or germinated at all. This year I bought new seeds and hopefully they will germinate and give me bushy and healthy ones :)
I have written a post about my marigolds here I think Just one seed germinated from the lot I had bought but this plant survived and yielded beautifully which in turn gave me a whole lot of seeds. They too yielded well but the third time I just see plants but no flowers. I will wait and plant again and see if timing does the trick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

I have never successfully germinated marigolds from seed. I think they must need cold stratification or something, but maybe one day I will be successful. I usually save the seed from my purchased plants, but marigolds are cheap so it's no huge worry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have written a post about my marigolds here I think Just one seed germinated from the lot I had bought but this plant survived and yielded beautifully which in turn gave me a whole lot of seeds. They too yielded well but the third time I just see plants but no flowers. I will wait and plant again and see if timing does the trick.

Grouie, if you germinated seed and a plant grew, maybe you just needed to fertilize it in order to get flowers. All my saved seed is old now so I guess I will compost it. The plants are easy enough to get in the spring and I can always find them marked down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Grouie, if you germinated seed and a plant grew, maybe you just needed to fertilize it in order to get flowers. All my saved seed is old now so I guess I will compost it. The plants are easy enough to get in the spring and I can always find them marked down.

The seeds that were produced from that one plant yielded good results. It is the third lot which I think due to wrong timing did not yield

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The seeds that were produced from that one plant yielded good results. It is the third lot which I think due to wrong timing did not yield

A third batch of seeds or a third planting from the same batch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have never successfully germinated marigolds from seed. I think they must need cold stratification or something, but maybe one day I will be successful. I usually save the seed from my purchased plants, but marigolds are cheap so it's no huge worry.
In the fall I pull all the seed heads, and just toss them into a bucket to dry thoroughly. In the spring I roll the heads between my fingers, and wind up with a ton of seeds. The ones that don't free themselves easily from the husk gets tossed. When planting they only need a very fine layer of dirt on top to get them going. Water lightly like you would when you plant lawn seed twice a day until they have true leaves. Then water a little heavier when needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Marigold seeds have a sharp end.
I have found that I get hugely better germination when I stick that end into the growing medium so that they stand up straight.
Don't know why, but nature usually designs things for a reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Marigold seeds have a sharp end.
I have found that I get hugely better germination when I stick that end into the growing medium so that they stand up straight.
Don't know why, but nature usually designs things for a reason.

I can never remember which end to stand up, lol. The next time I have a seed head on one of my plants I will have to give that technique a try. One can never have too many marigold plants!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Keeping it dry can be important with saving seed, a paper packet in a good dry place, or even put them in the freezer 'til you need them.

Ask a Question