Squash plant wilting??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I’ve got two crooked-neck squash planted within about 5 foot from each other and they’ve been doing fine until ONE started wilting and it’s leaves turning yellow? Yet the other one is fine! I’ve checked for vine borers and picked off one cluster of eggs but that’s it. I check all my plants twice daily so I haven’t seen anything since this morning. But this started a day ago! I just watered the garden this morning with my soaker hose as needed and this pic is from this evening! Thanks for help in advance!

Attachments

• FC771698-3986-4A20-AECA-98121904CFF5.jpeg
    FC771698-3986-4A20-AECA-98121904CFF5.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Tell about the context. Fertilization, spraying, soil amendments, water regime, recent rain, previous years fungal and insect battles etc?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What has the temperature been. I see the picture was taken late in the day. Is the plant wilted in the AM hours too. It has been in the high 90's - low 100's here in Texas and my squash look just like yours in the late afternoon but are all normal looking the following morning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well as far as context, I’ve got several squash already coming in nicely on both plants. I have a lot of pollinators in the garden as I have a cover crop of clover that I have let grow between the rows. The soil is good soil they I brought in from a local nursery that they use. I fertilized the garden about a month ago, no other plants are showing this same sign of issue , I usually water via a soaker hose as needed based on the soil moisture content, we haven’t had a lot of rain lately, which. Is why I watered that morning. I did pick off a worm that was hiding inside an open blossom on the same plant and one spot on a leaf that had what looked like some type of egg cluster under it. I used Maggie’s Farm 3 in 1 spray as directed a day ago when I first noticed the wilting. I check my garden at least once or twice a day for any signs of pests, or other issues as to stay ahead of it. The temperature had been in the mid to upper 60’s at night to the 80’s during the day. BUT, now that you mention it, I had a squash plant last year in the SAME spot start to do this about this same time! And it didnt make it! I did till the ground under good before I added the soil and fertilizer to the garden this year, however. Thoughts??

Reaction score
Country
United States
What has the temperature been. I see the picture was taken late in the day. Is the plant wilted in the AM hours too. It has been in the high 90's - low 100's here in Texas and my squash look just like yours in the late afternoon but are all normal looking the following morning.
I would thing it’s an issue with the heat of the day, however the squash plant next to it doesn’t do the same thing. And it starts to wilt AS SOON AS the first little bit of sun hits it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would thing it’s an issue with the heat of the day, however the squash plant next to it doesn’t do the same thing. And it starts to wilt AS SOON AS the first little bit of sun hits it.
In your case it sounds as if the plant may be suffering from a lack of potassium. Potassium affects the opening and closing of the stomata, thus early wilting and possibly a slowing of growth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Possibly, but I have a same type plant in the same soil and row planted about 5ft from this one with the issue? And they were all planted and fertilized at the same time with the same fertilizer as well as they all get watered at the same time?

But if that’s the case, how would I correct the issue? Could it be knot root nematode? Like I said, I had a squash plant I planted in the same spot last year do the same thing and I didn’t give it a second thought until this one started showing the same signs! Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Possibly, but I have a same type plant in the same soil and row planted about 5ft from this one with the issue? And they were all planted and fertilized at the same time with the same fertilizer as well as they all get watered at the same time?

But if that’s the case, how would I correct the issue? Could it be knot root nematode? Like I said, I had a squash plant I planted in the same spot last year do the same thing and I didn’t give it a second thought until this one started showing the same signs! Thank you!
I would say it is not a root knot nematode but rather a grub worm or a type of cutworm that eats roots. Did this issue start all of a sudden or over a prolonged period? What I would do is make a strong soil drench out of liquid seaweed or kelp. Even kelp and seaweed powder will work if mixed with water. This will add a lot of potassium quickly to the plants and it won't hurt anything. If the issue goes away then you have cured the problem and if it doesn't it will benefit the plant anyway. From what you just described it sounds like root damage but don't rule out a lack of potassium quite yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you!! It came on rather quickly. Like I’m a day’s time it started this whereas before it was a rather healthy plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you!! It came on rather quickly. Like I’m a day’s time it started this whereas before it was a rather healthy plant.
That sounds a lot like you have a couple of grub worms chewing on the roots. And this is the time of year for damage to start to show too. Anyway, I would still use a seaweed drench but with Bt added.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t have direct access to seaweed where I live. I can use some cut up banana peels? BT? What exactly is that? Thank you! I did kill a grub worm that I found hiding inside an open blossom the other day on the same plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t have direct access to seaweed where I live. I can use some cut up banana peels? BT? What exactly is that? Thank you! I did kill a grub worm that I found hiding inside an open blossom the other day on the same plant.
Any nursery and most hardware stores will have liquid seaweed but yes, you can cut up banana peels and soak them for a few days and then use that as a drench but it is not nearly as good as liquid seaweed or kelp. Bt is the absolute best thing to use for any type of caterpillar. Bt (Bacillus thuringensis) is sold under many brands and is easily obtained either online or at any garden center. And so is liquid seaweed. It is also organic and safe for pets and people.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any nursery and most hardware stores will have liquid seaweed but yes, you can cut up banana peels and soak them for a few days and then use that as a drench but it is not nearly as good as liquid seaweed or kelp. Bt is the absolute best thing to use for any type of caterpillar. Bt (Bacillus thuringensis) is sold under many brands and is easily obtained either online or at any garden center. And so is liquid seaweed. It is also organic and safe for pets and people.
Ok thank you!! Would Neem Oil work also? Thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. Neem is used as an oil barrier (prophylactic) where the Bt will get down and when they eat it they get sick and stop eating and die.
Gotcha. I found some BT powder that I sprinkled on both plants and on the soil around them.. So we will see.. I think its grubs tho, because I also found a pole tunnel going into my garden right were this same problemed squash plant was.. But I am discussing this mystery pest in another thread!

Ask a Question