Squash Vine Borers & Pepper Plants Losing/Wilted Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
First timer here growing Zucchini & Squash. My plants looked great for the first couple of months. After I was able to get a few crops harvested I noticed that two of my plants were leaning over and flopping all the sudden then it start taking over the other plants in the same row.

What are your recommendations on How can I prevent SVB next season ?

Also my bell pepper plants looked good then now all of the leaves have fallen off the stems. Any idea what happened here?

I have attached photos of zucchini & bell pepper plants. Thank you!

E34D2967-3F70-4D5F-90A6-50384ADF1792.jpeg

43A4913B-F013-4FE5-841B-2E1ACD937FAA.jpeg

4DCCFDE4-6A9A-4C4E-AECD-CD8761B6D31C.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I thought planting late with the cold spring might have upset the svb timing. No such luck for me either. Usually I am laying out preventative pesticides but OOPS not this year. They pop up as temps rise to the 80s.

But what is killing me is how some of my pepper are struggling like yours. My DW wanted to plant the garden so I am not real sure how deep she dug or what prep was done. I suspect they are shallow planted. I noticed when it rained a lot they perked up as it was cooler for days on end, and moist, but then lapsed back as if the roots are too hot or something when our hot dry days of summer returned. The peppers I planted later seem ok. I will mix nutrients deep in the holes so the roots are fed along their growth journey. I make it heavier deeper so the plant is not overcome when young but has plenty when bigger and is maturing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How to prevent or kill SVB is really very simple. Just inject Bt into the stem. Start the injections about 6 inches above the soil and proceed with the injections out to a distance of about 18 inches. Make your injections about 4 inches apart. You will need the biggest needle you can get from your vet or you can use a turkey baster that has a large metal needle. You peppers appear to be staying too wet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
An occasional dusting of Epsom salts has helped my peppers weather the wet stuff this year.
Nice, where did you apply the Epsom salts to be exact? I’ll have to give this a try next season. I had been using a soaker hose . Apparently I had been watering them too long & that end of hose got more water.

Thank you!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I just sprinkle it around the base of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I find that if I wait until the last of May, first of June I miss most of the SVB egg laying cycle . I rarely have a problem. Here the average 1st frost is mid October so you still have around 120+ growing days for winter squash . I can't grow peppers to save my life so I can't help you on those.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I find that if I wait until the last of May, first of June I miss most of the SVB egg laying cycle . I rarely have a problem. Here the average 1st frost is mid October so you still have around 120+ growing days for winter squash . I can't grow peppers to save my life so I can't help you on those.
Yes this, but naturally this year had to be a long cool spring that has thrown the timing back 20 days or so. Due to the way our calander works spring progresses back anyway but weather changes like this year makes it seem really pronounced.

Ask a Question