This happens to my squash plants every year...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. Every year I try a different squash variety, but have the same result. They grow big and healthy at first, but then they always end up as pictured; they just vary in how long it takes for this to happen. When it does happen, the process occurs rapidly. Is this the work of the SVB? Or is it something fungal/a disease?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210625_135800.jpg
    20210625_135800.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210625_135817_HDR.jpg
    20210625_135817_HDR.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yeah. Get a bbq marinade injector for turkeys or whatever and a bottle of Bt. @Chuck says inject every 4 inches up about 18 inches. I did this myself this year and it will kill the svb. Next year you can start preventatively by spraying the ground and the stems. The flowers close at night so that helps in not killing the bees.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah. Get a bbq marinade injector for turkeys or whatever and a bottle of Bt. @Chuck says inject every 4 inches up about 18 inches. I did this myself this year and it will kill the svb. Next year you can start preventatively by spraying the ground and the stems. The flowers close at night so that help not killing the bees.

Ah, so it is SVB after all. Good to know finally what it is for sure at least. Thanks so much for the tip - I will definitely give that a try next season. Glad to know it works for you, that's definitely good to hear. Would you happen to know what's chomping up my collards as well, if you don't mind my asking? Would you recommend Bt for that also?

Attachments

• 20210625_140145.jpg
    20210625_140145.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ah, so it is SVB after all. Good to know finally what it is for sure at least. Thanks so much for the tip - I will definitely give that a try next season. Glad to know it works for you, that's definitely good to hear. Would you happen to know what's chomping up my collards as well, if you don't mind my asking? Would you recommend Bt for that also?
Yes, Bt is good for chompers of all sorts. As well as spinosad.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know where you live, but in southern Ohio, Indiana and West Virginia (where I have spent most of my life) if you wait until the last week of May 1st week of June to plant squash. You miss most of the reproductive cycle of squash fine borers . I have had very little problems with squash line borers if I do this. Our average first Frost of the season runs from the second to third week of October. So this still gives you 120 days of growing time for winter squash.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newbie to the room.
Been having my first encounter with SVB's this season. They are nasty lil buggers that wreak havoc.

Yesterday morning all my yellow squash plants looked great, 7 hours later one of them was wilted and laying on the ground.
I cleaned/weeded around the entire stem and them mulched the stem top to bottom.

Just checked and the plant is about 90% back to normal.:)

This has happened twice now but apparently in my garden the mulching works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Newbie to the room.
Been having my first encounter with SVB's this season. They are nasty lil buggers that wreak havoc.

Yesterday morning all my yellow squash plants looked great, 7 hours later one of them was wilted and laying on the ground.
I cleaned/weeded around the entire stem and them mulched the stem top to bottom.

Just checked and the plant is about 90% back to normal.:)

This has happened twice now but apparently in my garden the mulching works great.
If your plant recovered fully it is not svb. Mulching has no effect as the worm is inside of the stem still happily chewing everything within reach. Easy way to tell if svb. Just look for frass. It looks kind of like sawdust. And look for a hole in the stem. Normally it will be from about 6 inches to 16 inches from the soil level. Sounds like a watering issue. It is normal for a plant to wilt in the hot afternoon and be fine the next morning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let me re-state, the plant looked much better, perhaps 90% was an overstatement on my part.

Its quite possible its not svb. The vine has shown some damage that look similar to svb attack as it did appear to have a spot where something did bore/chew into it.

I have noticed quite a few stink bugs in the area and on the plant along with what appears to be egg clusters
on 2 of the leaves.

Once the rain stops, I'll try to grab a few pics.

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let me re-state, the plant looked much better, perhaps 90% was an overstatement on my part.

Its quite possible its not svb. The vine has shown some damage that look similar to svb attack as it did appear to have a spot where something did bore/chew into it.

I have noticed quite a few stink bugs in the area and on the plant along with what appears to be egg clusters
on 2 of the leaves.

Once the rain stops, I'll try to grab a few pics.

Thanks for the info.
Get those eggs off NOW. They are stink bug eggs. Just smash them with your fingers. If it is svb your plant will not get better, it will get worse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get those eggs off NOW. They are stink bug eggs. Just smash them with your fingers. If it is svb your plant will not get better, it will get worse.
I hate to keep bothering you.

Looked up some info/pics, it seems they might be squash bug eggs instead.
They say to use dish soap and water for these.

I'll try that unless you suggest something better.

Once again THANKS!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hate to keep bothering you.

Looked up some info/pics, it seems they might be squash bug eggs instead.
They say to use dish soap and water for these.

I'll try that unless you suggest something better.

Once again THANKS!!!
A squash bug is a stinkbug. Just smash one and take a whiff. Check both sides of every squash leaf. No need to spray anything, just smash the eggs with your finger. I don't know if I would trust just soap and water to kill the eggs.

Ask a Question