Squash plant wilting??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you checked the vine for frass. Frass is the excrement of borers. From the base of the plant check carefully and see if you see anything that looks sort of like sawdust out to a distance of about 18 inches. If you do then there is a caterpillar inside of the stem of the plant and he is called a Squash Vine Borer. Once the borer is inside of the stem there is only one thing you can do. With a large hypodermic syringe or turkey baster, inject Bt into the stem from the base to the area where you see the frass.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you checked the vine for frass. Frass is the excrement of borers. From the base of the plant check carefully and see if you see anything that looks sort of like sawdust out to a distance of about 18 inches. If you do then there is a caterpillar inside of the stem of the plant and he is called a Squash Vine Borer. Once the borer is inside of the stem there is only one thing you can do. With a large hypodermic syringe or turkey baster, inject Bt into the stem from the base to the area where you see the frass.
I have checked for that before but I have not seen any so far, BUT I will keep looking. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have checked for that before but I have not seen any so far, BUT I will keep looking. Thank you!
If you keep your Bt powder (Dipel) on the vine it should stop the Squash Vine Borer from entering the stem but this dust washes away fairly easily so you have to keep reapplying it. Keep an eyeball out for the SVB moth pictured below.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you keep your Bt powder (Dipel) on the vine it should stop the Squash Vine Borer from entering the stem but this dust washes away fairly easily so you have to keep reapplying it. Keep an eyeball out for the SVB moth pictured below.

Thank you! Yes I applied it yesterday evening and its raining now so I will have to reapply after the rain, BUT, if its an issue with grub worms, I wonder if the rain will allow the BT dust to soak into the ground and kill off the grubs that may be eating at its roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! Yes I applied it yesterday evening and its raining now so I will have to reapply after the rain, BUT, if its an issue with grub worms, I wonder if the rain will allow the BT dust to soak into the ground and kill off the grubs that may be eating at its roots?
It's possible I suppose but very very doubtful as I doubt the dust will penetrate deep enough into the soil as the dust is not soluble, whereas the liquid Bt is. The absolute best thing for grub worms are beneficial nematodes, the nematodes that come on a little blue sponge but not everyone sells them. They also come in a dried form but I have never had any luck with the dried nematodes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible I suppose but very very doubtful as I doubt the dust will penetrate deep enough into the soil as the dust is not soluble, whereas the liquid Bt is. The absolute best thing for grub worms are beneficial nematodes, the nematodes that come on a little blue sponge but not everyone sells them. They also come in a dried form but I have never had any luck with the dried nematodes.
Thank you sir! The plant seems to be doing a little better today after I dusted it with BT dust yesterday evening.. I am still keeping my eyes on them both, checking for any further sign of pests and their eggs.

Ask a Question