Sowing clover in a border between small trees and shrubs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to gardening. I have made a border that has small trees and shrubs. Is it ok to sow dwarf or white/red clover between the trees and shrubs. For ground cover weed suppression and adding nitrogen to the border soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes! It will be really good for your trees and soil.

I have clover absolutely everywhere. When it's very dry (as it is now) you might have better luck sowing the clover in plug trays then planting them out later. It'll take hold and spread very quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thank you,

I hoped it would be so. When I googled it I could only find advice on adding clover to lawns. The border is rectangular and edged with large cobble setts, but I am not worried about it spreading to my lawn as I am going to sow the white/red mix through that.

Thanks ever so much for replying
Gavin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You're very welcome.

It may or may not be of interest, but 'tree guilds' might give you some more ideas along this theme. It's really for fruit trees, but basic principles apply. It's part of permaculture gardening approach.

I have a small 'food forest' in my garden - just a few trees, but I planted all the supporting plants along side them and it looks amazing. There might be some ideas and inspiration for you along these lines.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looked into the tree guild idea. I hadn't heard of it. I found this lovely illustration as example. I have room in my garden for another border so it may be a project for the autumn.
I hope to sow the clover seeds soon, when this hot dry spell is over.
Regards and best wishes
Gavin

Attachments

• tree guild.jpeg
    tree guild.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I looked into the tree guild idea. I hadn't heard of it. I found this lovely illustration as example. I have room in my garden for another border so it may be a project for the autumn.
I hope to sow the clover seeds soon, when this hot dry spell is over.
Regards and best wishes
Gavin
The way I do it is to use small plug trays. I get the clover established into them then 'pocket plant' the plug plants wherever I want them (usually in the lawn in my case). I just use a gardening knife - 'stab' a slit in the ground and poke the plug in. It's very quick.

Charles Dowding's tiny plug trays from ContainerWise are ideal as they use hardly any compost and are very small and easy to plant out. But any plug trays would do.

We have wildflower meadow areas in our garden (essentially, sweeping areas that we don't mow). Each spring we buy a variety of wildflower seeds and get them started in these plug trays. Then when it warms up a bit we plant them into our lawn. We get an amazing display of flowers in our 'meadows' using this approach. Some self-seed and establish naturally; others are perenials and come back every year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all your help and information. I have attached two pictures of the border in question. I'm fortunate, I live in a ground floor flat that has a very large front garden. Previously I did sow meadow type seeds, the display was wonderful. Long term it is to be for various small trees: acers, pieris, Annie's winter orange, red robins and small perennial shrubs. It is a big area, so I'm leaning towards sewing the seeds direct to the soil. I have two other borders, one for Scottishy plants heathers, thistles and moss campion. The other is a bed of rose quartz stones with sedums and heuchera. I have long box planters with recently sewn wild flower seeds. I am still in the joy of learning, and some landscaping.
Regards
Gavin

Attachments

• border1.jpg
    border1.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 5
  • border2.jpg
    border2.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That looks really lovely. I love the bricks you've used to make your raised beds. I have similar shaped beds on my front lawn, but they're made out of wood. Yours is much nicer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are granite cobble setts. You can see them in towns and villages all over Scotland, as road surfaces, edgings and raised verges. I get them from architectural salvage sites and a neighbour who 'excavates' them from his overgrown garden. Gibb of Galston is a great business.

Ask a Question