Sowing Grass Seed on a Grave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need some advice. I need to sow some grass on a relatives grave. The soil has settled now but it looks dried out. I am not a gardener and I don't have the faintest clue as to when/how to sow it or what product I should use. Any info appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well... If you want to fill the divit in, then do that first. Then throw out some grass seed and then put some straw on top and keep it damp. You'll probably want a mixture of warm and cool season grass.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The soil has settled now but it looks dried out.
It probably is very dried out, this must be the driest April I have ever known. I doubt that when filling in a grave anyone carefully puts the top soil to one side and replaces it last, it might well repay you to get a bag of top soil somewhere like Wickes and mix into the top inch or two. Another thing that might be worth it would be to rake it over and water it to germinate the weed seeds and get rid of them before you grass it. Now, or soon, is not a bad time to sow, most seeds germinate well in Spring. Sow on the surface, birds do like grass seed, worth protecting them. Let it grow at least four inches before you mow the first time, and then do it with the mower set high.
A good seedsman will put instructions on the seed packet, and they are worth following, he wants you to get good results and come back, your main problem will be getting a small enough pack, most people are aiming at seeding a lawn.

My condolences.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It probably is very dried out, this must be the driest April I have ever known. I doubt that when filling in a grave anyone carefully puts the top soil to one side and replaces it last, it might well repay you to get a bag of top soil somewhere like Wickes and mix into the top inch or two. Another thing that might be worth it would be to rake it over and water it to germinate the weed seeds and get rid of them before you grass it. Now, or soon, is not a bad time to sow, most seeds germinate well in Spring. Sow on the surface, birds do like grass seed, worth protecting them. Let it grow at least four inches before you mow the first time, and then do it with the mower set high.
A good seedsman will put instructions on the seed packet, and they are worth following, he wants you to get good results and come back, your main problem will be getting a small enough pack, most people are aiming at seeding a lawn.
Granite Memorial Stones Pittsburgh
My condolences.
Hello, my grandfather recently passed away, and we are trying to get grass to grow over the grave. The surface of the ground is red clay, so it's not very conducive to growing grass. Most of my experience trying to get grass to grow is in Texas, so I'm not sure how exactly to handle this "Georgia Red Clay." Also, the surrounding grass is St. Augustine. For the middle Georgia people on the forum, would you recommend growing from sprigs? And if so, where would you recommend buying them? Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello delightfulbags, sorry for your loss.
I also wonder how on earth you came by your user name, and note that you joined the forum on my birthday, but that is completely incidental. Thanks for quoting me, but I have seen enough threads on lawns to know that in the US you grow quite different grasses to us and to realise they need different approaches (The OP was from the UK). If someone with more local knowledge does not reply soon it might pay you to start a new thread with a title something like 'Grass on Georgia clay'. Sorry I am not more helpful, but better to get good local knowledge.

Ask a Question