Winter Sowing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got interested in Winter Sowing as I'm always behind in getting my garden planted.

The method is to cut the translucent jugs up 4" from the bottom, so a good run on my new band saw. Drilled 4 holes on bottom for drainage and 3 on top for venting and am leaving the caps off. Filled with a mix of starter medium and soils then planted seeds as prescribed on packages. Drilled a small hole in threaded area and hung plasticized labels onto the jug using large paper clips run through a hole in the label and one leg of the clip wound through the hole at the threads.

I have already planted 20 gallon jugs worth of seeds and it is WINTER as the temp today was an amazing 11 deg. F with windchill that put it down to -7 deg. F so I think all of the jugs are frozen. IF there is frost once plants start showing I can cover with cloth which should keep most of that out.

I'm doing some of the brassica family as they are all "cold crop" items to begin with. However, I am also trying some tomatoes, onions, and elderberry seeds, and a few others, to see how they will perform.

I'll have to try and remember to come back with some results for you all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I got interested in Winter Sowing as I'm always behind in getting my garden planted.

The method is to cut the translucent jugs up 4" from the bottom, so a good run on my new band saw. Drilled 4 holes on bottom for drainage and 3 on top for venting and am leaving the caps off. Filled with a mix of starter medium and soils then planted seeds as prescribed on packages. Drilled a small hole in threaded area and hung plasticized labels onto the jug using large paper clips run through a hole in the label and one leg of the clip wound through the hole at the threads.

I have already planted 20 gallon jugs worth of seeds and it is WINTER as the temp today was an amazing 11 deg. F with windchill that put it down to -7 deg. F so I think all of the jugs are frozen. IF there is frost once plants start showing I can cover with cloth which should keep most of that out.

I'm doing some of the brassica family as they are all "cold crop" items to begin with. However, I am also trying some tomatoes, onions, and elderberry seeds, and a few others, to see how they will perform.

I'll have to try and remember to come back with some results for you all.
Keep the tomato soil 50f or higher. It will warm up soon.

Ask a Question