multi-sowing onions - right or wrong here I go

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
A few years ago I jumped on the band wagon of using a soil block maker for my seed starting. This year I am combining it with the multi-sowing technique I've seen or read several major gardeners using.

Tonight, using my 4th grade daughter as some child labor, I seeded 4 or 5 seeds each in soil blocks. Total is 80 blocks each (at 4 seeds per block) of Red Ruby Onion, White Sweet Spanish Onion, and Yellow Sweet Spanish Onion.

To compound the experiment I have half of each planted in 2" blocks and half planted in 1.5" blocks.

Now that I write this down. That's a lot of onions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Update on my multi sowing onion experiment. When planted I mixed up the white, yellow, and red onions in the raised bed.

These are two quick pics of the onions I have going in a raised bed.

There are onion bulbs in there over 3" in diameter. As you'd expect there are several smaller onions in that bed.

I have these mulched with chopped up ornamental grass that grew in the landscaping last year.

The greens are not flopped over yet so these are still growing.

Attachments

• Onion2.jpg
    Onion2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Onion1.jpg
    Onion1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
*0 all told, or eighty of each? When we were a family I used to reckon one onion for each day of the year, now it is just me and the missus I reckon about 250, but this year I missed out planting out my seedlings as I had dislocated my arm so just about 60 red ones. Home grown seem stronger and make you cry when you cut them which supermarket ones don't do anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It was originaly 80 blocks of 4 seeds for each of the three varieties.

But then life happened and I am down to about 25 sets of the 4 seeds started. Mostly I had to do a bunch of travel for work this spring and left the kids to tending the seedlings then a rabbit ate the onion starts put in a raised bed on the first planting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I built 4 really good raised beds for garlic & onions at my allotments, then moved home!!
So I built 2x 12ftx6 ft raised beds here in my new home & have had an excellent crop of garlic, onions & shallots.
I didn't really know how well they'd do 100 miles farther north, so I budgeted for them being approx half the size they were.
As it turned out, they are just as good, just a little later (2-3 wks) than previously, so I now have twice the onions I need.
I was especially surprised by the over-wintered short-day onions, as I was led to believe they were marginal in my old home, 100 miles south.

Ask a Question