Some Herb Bowls

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I stupidly forgot to mention that I have a pretty nice indoor set up ... let me see if I can find a pic from when I first set it up..and before I switched to LED lights - which I might add, the grow ones are pretty, not like the old compact fluorescent ones I rigged up at the beginning. I have two of these indoor units which are 4 x 4 x 8 ft tall.
View attachment 30555
I have since also added capillary matting and fans. I start my seedlings for hot peppers, onions etc in there before Christmas. :)

Ooops! It's like the novice telling the veteran what to do! Hahaha! Hope you don't mind or laugh at me. That's such a good set up. I couldn't even get my salad crop going as I was too mean to have the light on. Also I buy my salad bag for 20p up the road, and hence the lack of resourcefulness, imagination or creativity. That's a very neat setup, Lori! Respect ..

Please totally discard my suggestions.. I'm blushing if you can see me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@alp I'm always learning new things and I appreciate all helpful advice.

I've got heat mats down there too and invested in some temperature controllers.

There's probably lots more I could do but I have limited funds and don't really need to add anything at the moment.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I also have limited funds, but I have a little supermarket up the road and got tons of reduced staff. Salad for 20p and hence no incentive to go to the hassle. Next year, I will stock up compost and when I have moved, will see if I can have some polytunnels. At the moment, nothing is safe as neighbour has fireworks for an hour on Christmas, New Year, Halloween and things will only be burnt down or holes everywhere. I always scavenge.. Put an ad on freelywheelly and got tons of big pots.. They have now all been put to use for my tulips .. Tulip mania here. I even used a free TV glass stand for my plants. Here things change hands very quickly. I reckon this can't happen unless you live in a more densely populated area.

Talking about heat mat. Bought one with a dial from 0 to 40c from China and yet it's minimum temperature is 24C. No good, so now it's languishing somewhere.

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@alp ..yeah, i have a really cheap one with no temp control, I put chopsticks below to reduce heat LOL. What are you growing on those germinators? Is that for coming spring?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha! Chopsticks are really useful and I wish my son could master the art of using chopsticks. Every time he cooks something, he has to find a spatula of which we haven't got a lot. My ex uses them like a pro!

Well, I have a very expensive glorified Vitopod propagator
upload_2017-12-19_5-9-26.jpeg

exactly like this. Now it houses my streptocarpuses which are at various stages of dying. Too cold as I can't be bothered to turn on the thermostat, probably because I have lost the ghost to keep them. Buggy, always dying, taking up too much space. I won't even replace them. I wish I had bought a greenhouse, but with the balls coming from next door, I don't think it will survive intact. I also have one which is electric, but no thermostatic, one from China with a phony dial which actually starts at 24c and can go up to 30c.. I will use the one above for my dahlias. Trouble is my lean to has very little ventilation. I will use it for seeds later. But damping off is a real problem.

Ask a Question