Some Herb Bowls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I found an old camera happily as my regular is acting up. On the flash card (128 mb) I found some pictures of some herb bowls I had made a while back. I grew the herbs from seed and then went to a local thrift store and got creative with the containers...and a couple plastic bowls too.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I can see you're a big fan of basil. I can nearly smell the aroma from here. What is the purple one and the taller one in the last photo please? Very nice showcase. You could easily pay £1 just for the herbs, not mentioning the lovely pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I love this type of gardening. The possibilities are almost endless. When I lived in Florida my back yard was full of strange pots and pans growing plants. I think originality in gardening such as this is kind of the frosting on the cake for gardeners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
What kinds of basil? I'll have to look at the packages, at the time I had about 12 or more varieties of Basil growing. I was a lot of fun. I had much of it in the greenhouse when they were smaller and when you would open up in the morning the smell would be amazing.

As far as drainage for the pots I used a drill bit intented for cement and went pretty slow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Moveable herbs! It's nice to be able to move a pot closer to the kitchen, or even inside for a bit. Some of those herbs in the "found" containers would make great table decorations for a luncheon or dinner. Guests could pick their own garnishes!
Beverly, a masonry bit on a drill, with the area to be drilled either wetted or oiled, can go through most pottery without shattering it. It doesn't work on thinner porcelains or pottery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the input Greenhorn, Marlin, and Silent:) I didn't know there were drill bits for glass. This makes possible all sorts of opportunities for creative pot making and i am inspired(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
@alp The purple is Purple Opal Organic, the other is Lemon I believe. Below is the bulk of my seed list when I was doing herbs.

Basil - Italian Genovese Organic
Basil - Mrs. Burns' Lemon
Basil - Aurelia
Basil - Basil
Basil - Italian Cameo
Basil - Mini, Window box
Basil - Profumo di Genova
Basil - Purple Opal Organic
Basil – Queenette,Thai
Basil - Salad Leaf
Basil- Spicy Globe Organic
Basil- Sweet Green
Celery Seasoning, - Amsterdam
Chervil - French
Chives - Culinary Organic
Cilantro - Slow-bolt
Dill - Leafy Diana Organic
Fennel - Smokey Bronze
Marjoram - Sweet
Oregano- Oregano
Oregano - True Greek
Parsley - Gigante Italian
Parsley - Italian Large Leaf Organic
Sage Culinary Organic
Spearmint - Italian
Thyme - English Organic
Thyme - French Culinary
Vietnamese, - Bac Lieu Cilantro

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Crikey! What an eye opener! I knew of only 2 basil. One Thai and one the other one I buy from shops... Amazing. Must go to Wyevale to see what other seeds they have left .Love my lemon thyme. The citrus aroma is so uplifting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@Greenhorn you've inspired me. I love the smell of basil and the different mints amd oregano and and and...

I'm going to start some indoors alongside my carnation seedlings.

Thanks for starting this thread and posting your pictures!

Ask a Question