Solar Lights- Do you like them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I really don't like solar light. Whenever I want to spend time in a garden at night, I always take a few glass vases (or jars) and candles with me. Candlelight is so warm!:)

They actually have solar lights that have the gentle yellowish light that flicker like a candle. I had one once. It was seriously like the light of a real candle. I heard they have solar tiki lights like that too, but I have not see them yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had no idea what is actually out there gata montes! I love the little butterflies, and dragonflies, not to mention those lanterns are pretty cool also. Thanks for the eye opener. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought some cheap ones from the store around here that barely emit any light, but they work well to outline our sidewalk because there are no lights at night generally on up here - I live on the edge of town, next to a farm, and the nearest streetlight is in our parking lot which is a three minute walk from my building. So I figured, hey why not.

I was disappointed by their dinky dim light. So, I'm wondering for online Ziggs since we've been talking about Amazon and how you get plenty of solar energy, maybe you could point me out some cheapies that you'd recommend for lighting a pathway.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use the little ones anymore so can't really advise other than to replace the cheap rechargable battery they come with with a 2000mAh one.

They're usually AAA size so shouldn't be difficult.

My main power comes from £400 worth of solar panels and a £450 wind generator charging £320 worth of leisure batteries.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats Amazing Ziggs, that you live off the land like that! I'm curious after reading your post on how much you think you save over a year with all of your solar power?

I'm really interested in getting started. Where would one begin this endeavor?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Expensive to get set up, but no bills after that. Can't remember what I used to pay but it wasn't cheap.

Not difficult, you just need some panels, a charge controller and some batteries, depends on what you want to power :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha, this looks like a face of an evil frog:LOL: I don't think I'd like to find it in my garden, especially not at night:p

I stuck it in the tree behind another photo I took, don't think anyone noticed :D
DSCN0871.JPG

But when I looked at the picture there was another set of eyes in the background

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol! I see those eyes! Clearly someone was watching you!;) It looks like a ghost to me:p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What do you think about solar lights? To commercial or something you like?
51Qykc%2B%2BMCL._SY355_.jpg
I absolutely adore this dragon. How tall is it? Where did you find it? I wish I could find things like this where I live, but we're in a small town out in the middle of nowhere, so if Walmart doesn't carry it, it's hard to find!!

I haven't tried solar lights in a few years, but the time I bought some they just didn't last very long. If you went a couple of days with sunlight, they didn't work at all. Then after about a year or so, they had gotten so faint you could barely see them. I was very disappointed in them. Maybe the technology has gotten better in the last 4-5 years??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The first step is to determine what you need.

1. What do you buy that you want to grow for yourself.
2. How much of it you need per year.
3. How will you preserve it for the year.
4. How much land you would need to grow it all.
5. Where and how much will the seeds/seedlings cost.

Once you get that info out of the way then you can begin to start. You can also arrange to grow some of your vegetables in the house itself, and, I found out that you can make them grow year round in the house if you care for them correctly. Tomatoes are the biggest ones you can do this with, but you can do this with other vegetables also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really like the idea of solar lighting, and the fact that it is kind of portable and you can place it and move it anywhere you wish. Solar lighting does not work as well where I live as it does in other parts of the country. We tested it out at work and were not impressed with the results. I have used solar lights in my garden before and liked those...I was even able to move them around whenever I chose!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Don't forget the other feature that makes solar lights so great @Rosyrain. No electricity or wires. Oh and not to mention, you don't have to remember to turn them on and off every time. They turn on and off on their own.

Ask a Question