Solar Lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's time for these to be put away in our garden. They're only lasting a few of hours of an evening now.
As well as all the dozen mains and low voltage lights we also have about a dozen of these too.
Ours are the common cheap globes on the end of stainless steel tubes attached to a spike.

P1060029.JPG

P1060033.JPG

Each year about this time, I take the globes off and remove the batteries. Give the globes a day or two to dry out on the garage bench as water always works its way into them. Some of the battery contacts go rusty so I have to use short lengths of multi-strand copper wire, for those where there isn't a good contact. I give the contacts a spray with switch cleaner and the tubes a wipe over with 3 in 1 oil. Then pack them all away in a couple of big polystyrene boxes ready for next year. Then hopefully, they wiill all be working the following year after I've recharged all the batteries.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Mine are still glowing besides the ones on the fence but what I did with mine was add a finger off a rubber glove over the battery part for extra protection.

20180907_130022.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Mine are still glowing besides the ones on the fence but what I did with mine was add a finger off a rubber glove over the battery part for extra protection.

That's a good idea but water still can get in.Rain will run down the globe and enter between it and the metal cup holding the globe, it can also get in between the cup and the battery holder.
That's how the water gets in mine, it then gravitates to the bottom of the battery holder where the positive connection is in the battery holder cap and rusts the contacts.

In fact although the "finger" will keep rain off the battery holder, any water that gets in could accumulate in the bottom of the finger. A "belt and braces" solution would be to put a thin bead of clear silicone around the top of the cup where it meets the globe.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
In fact although the "finger" will keep rain off the battery holder, any water that gets in could accumulate in the bottom of the finger. A "belt and braces" solution would be to put a thin bead of clear silicone around the top of the cup where it meets the globe.
Well I have had water lodge in the bottom of some after heavy rain falls but I've got loads of the tubes left and I add new but good idea about clear silicone never thought of that and hubby as loads of the stuff,,cheers Sean for that tip (y)

Every year I still buy new lights and I store them away...I know it sounds mad :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Well I have had water lodge in the bottom of some after heavy rain falls but I've got loads of the tubes left and I add new but good idea about clear silicone never thought of that and hubby as loads of the stuff,,cheers Sean for that tip (y)

Every year I still buy new lights and I store them away...I know it sounds mad :rolleyes:

They are cheap as chips now. I think the last few I bought were from "Quality Save" and they were about £2.99 each. Over the lat few years I've thrown at least four or five away that I was unable to get going.

I always keep the batteries in a box in the house during the winter and recharge them before putting the lights out in the Spring.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
They are cheap as chips now. I think the last few I bought were from "Quality Save" and they were about £2.99 each. Over the lat few years I've thrown at least four or five away that I was unable to get going.

I always keep the batteries in a box in the house during the winter and recharge them before putting the lights out in the Spring.

Yes I remember we chatting about the price before yours was that price and mine was £1-99 because they're the smaller ones in height and they are quality plus the glow.
Now I've not got a charger, so every year I buy new batteries off Amazon and keep them in but can you charge them on a normal battery charger, as hubby as two in the kitchen for his batteries for his camera?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I remember we chatting about the price before yours was that price and mine was £1-99 because they're the smaller ones in height and they are quality plus the glow.
Now I've not got a charger, so every year I buy new batteries off Amazon and keep them in but can you charge them on a normal battery charger, as hubby as two in the kitchen for his batteries for his camera?

Yes. as long a the charger is designed for standard rechargeable AA batteries

I've one I used to use on my old Lumix camera, it will charge four at a time. my new Lumix you just plug it into a USB charging port.

I buy any new batteries needed for them on eBay, they're really cheap.

Last edited:

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. as long a the charger is designed for standard rechargeable AA batteries

I've one I used to use on my old Lumix camera, it will charge four at a time. my new Lumix you just plug it into a USB charging port.
Thanks the reason why I asked is because I see separate chargers for them sold on Amazon and he would go mad if I destroyed them :eek:

They both hold 4 and also for AA battieris so i'll be ok charging them...I could always buy him a new one in good gesture ;)

Ask a Question