Hot bin, a solar bin?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/8a
Country
United Kingdom
We've already got a compost heap at the back, but we generate a bit too much waste for it, and it is taking a while to break down so we need something a little faster. We've been looking at a solar bin, but we don't really get enough direct sunlight for it to be practical. Our council is now talking about something called hotbins which seem to be similar, but don't necessarily need the sunlight. They work by containing the heat of the composting. I've seen a few videos and they look good, but they are also extremely expensive, so I'm a bit reluctant to take the plunge.

Has anyone on here used one? A personal opinion would be very useful.

We did wonder about worm farms, but as we have pets and a lot of the waste is meat I don't know how well vermi-composting would work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I cannot relate with a solar bin. What we have is also the ordinary compost bin but not one but 3. After the first one is filled up, we put the vegetable trimmings in the second bin and when it's full then it is the turn of the 3rd bin. With the use of compost, it is always first in, first out. It is to say that we never run out of compost because of our system. That is the domain of my husband.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My sister used two regular black trash containers, which they drilled holes around the bin and used the covers to keep them from critters. So far, the compost looks good and it seems to do the job fantastically. They live in California, so they have sun on most day!

Ask a Question