Solar Lights- Do you like them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Last year I finally broke down and bought a pair of solar lights for a new bed that I put on the side of the driveway. I know I am strange because every night after I first put them in I would be at the window making sure they lit up. I had to actually replace the one set because they just did not seem to go. Before winter I pulled them out because I didn't think the snow would be great for the solar cell.

I went to the drug store today and they have all sorts of cute solar statues and lights on display. Some are pretty tacky, but a few were cute. I have got so I like to see some of the nicer ones in the gardens, it gets very dark in our area so it is one of the few road marks in the evenings. What do you think about solar lights? To commercial or something you like?
51Qykc%2B%2BMCL._SY355_.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Picked up another 40 watt panel today and the guy at the store rook my number so he can call when unadvertised clearouts come up. YES!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really don't like solar light. Whenever I want to spend time in a garden at night, I always take a few glass vases (or jars) and candles with me. Candlelight is so warm!:)

Reaction score
I really like solar lights, I actually plan to get some of those for my garden in the future! They are lovely! Nothing I dislike about them to be honest, love the way they look in a garden :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the lights, we put them along the driveway last summer. The lawn guy does not remove the lights before he starts to mow so the lights took a beating each time the lawn got mowed. We will need to replace at least half of the light put down. I like the way the let you see where you are going and when you look out the window it is not so dark, we should put them in the back also, you can see anything back there at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Everyone I have seen gives off a sorta blue-ish light, which I really don't care for. Do they make them with a different color spectrum bulb?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Most solar lights I have seen give off a slightly green light. In my opinion it looks spooky and it always reminds me of ghosts in horror movies:eek:

Reaction score
I've been using solar lighting for well over ten years now - in fact as I live in the middle of nowhere - I'd be living in pitch black if weren't for solar lighting.

To be honest I think a lot of people have misconceptions about solar lighting - as although I have to agree that some years ago solar lighting was generally pretty basic and very definitely far from attractive - its come a long way in the past five or ten years - so much so - that now you can have solar lighting in any color as well as almost any shape that you desire - as apart from the standard types of garden lighting you - now have the choice of

Almost every flower shape to stars like these which can either be stuck in the ground or hung from trees

Solar Lighting - Stars.jpg

Ceramic Pots - plain or with a variety of cutouts

Solar Lighting - Ceramic Pots - Stars.jpg

Solar Ornaments of every kind - from frogs to bird and fairy houses

Solar Lighting - Ornaments.jpg

String Lights which can be draped around shrubs and trees or butterflies stuck in the ground like these

Solar Lighting - Butterflies.jpg

As well as all kinds of lanterns from plain to ornate

Solar Lighting - Lanterns.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Picked up another 40 watt panel today and the guy at the store rook my number so he can call when unadvertised clearouts come up. YES!!!!

Cool, I got a new 40 watt one from Amazon last week, then spent days exchanging emails as it didn't work. Tried everything then in desparation the chap asked me to reverse the polarity.

Works fine now :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using solar lighting for well over ten years now - in fact as I live in the middle of nowhere - I'd be living in pitch black if weren't for solar lighting.

To be honest I think a lot of people have misconceptions about solar lighting - as although I have to agree that some years ago solar lighting was generally pretty basic and very definitely far from attractive - its come a long way in the past five or ten years - so much so - that now you can have solar lighting in any color as well as almost any shape that you desire - as apart from the standard types of garden lighting you - now have the choice of

Almost every flower shape to stars like these which can either be stuck in the ground or hung from trees

View attachment 4359

Ceramic Pots - plain or with a variety of cutouts

View attachment 4360

Solar Ornaments of every kind - from frogs to bird and fairy houses

View attachment 4361

String Lights which can be draped around shrubs and trees or butterflies stuck in the ground like these

View attachment 4358

As well as all kinds of lanterns from plain to ornate

View attachment 4362

Lovely Gata :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Depends on how you do them. If done creatively like gata showed, they're lovely accents.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That looks like something from a weird Sci-Fi movie haha.

Ask a Question