Do You Generate Solar Power

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Curious how many here have solar power panels on their roof tops to generate power for home use?

I'm curious, because I keep seeing articles that claim how cheap solar power has become. Is this true?

Do you feel it has paid for itself? And how long did it take for that to happen?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We looked into it and found that, as Rajesh said, the storage battery is expensive. Also the panels and installation were costly.
However, about a mile from us a solar energy generating plant is being installed. A company bought about 20 acres and are putting in solar panels. They will sell electricity on the grid when they get set up. We'll look into their pricing and may switch companies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am a ham radio operator and use solar power for my equipment. Most new rigs run on 12 volts and will run right off the battery bank. When I want to fire up one of the older 110 volt AC rigs I use an inverter. All the power equipment except the batteries and power regulator came from Harbor Freight and has worked flawlessly.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I got panels and a wind generator.

DSCN0766.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I am similar to Zigs As I power my Caravan By wind and Solar & store it in Battery's Got the panels Cheap off eBay as they where second hand & look vary much like they came off a light house. The windmill came off a boat and cost me 20pounds I'd imaging it would of cost more like 500 new:) The expensive bit was the Batteries, but as they been in about 6 years now they have Been worth the investment & still work like new(y)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm curious, because I keep seeing articles that claim how cheap solar power has become. Is this true?

I wouldn't say it is cheap, but as it continues to become more and more popular, the prices go down. It'll also become more efficient as technology continues to improve on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have 28 panels on the huse, but here you tie into the electric grid and they bank your output, then let you draw on the excess during the winter to offset the shorter days. It's called "net metering" and is very popular in this area because you don't need storage batteries. We haven't paid for power in three years. We also have solar chargers on most of the heavy equipment so there's no problem starting things in cold weather. Backhoes, skidders, loaders,and dump trucks all seem to do well with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Another alternative to explore is wind energy. Some of the more creative folks I know have taken propellers and attached them to car alternators to charge batteries.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We also have a small hydro generator at the outlet to the pond that uses an alternator and battery to run the chicken coop.

Ask a Question