So.. What's this on my potatoes?!

Reaction score
I've been growing potatoes for several years now; some varieties I've grown have flowered, and I harvest them after the flowers die off, and some don't, and I harvest these when the tops of the plants begin to yellow and wither.

Never before have I noticed my potato plants flower and then produce what I can only describe as 'fruit'..? I'm aware that potatoes are in the same family as tomatoes, but is it just coincidence that these "fruits" look exactly like little green cherry tomatoes?

Am I right in thinking these are "seed pods", despite my previous beliefs that potatoes only grow from... seed potatoes? Or is there something weird going on with my spuds? :p

I won't be eating these, whatever they turn out to be: If I won't eat green potatoes, there's no way I'm eating the green things growing off my potato plants, ha!

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
The green "fruit" are seed pods and are highly toxic and poisonous. If you have pets or small children you should removed them, if not, just leave them till they turn brown and take them off.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good advice Blue :)

You could grow potatoes from the seeds but they would be a cross with whatever other potatoes are in your area, all sorts of shapes and colours. But you'd have no way of testing the Solanine content. Each new variety is tested before being put on the market, but even then a variety got thru a few years back that contained too much.

Fortunately it was spotted by someone that knew the symptoms of Solanine poisoning when he had them:eek:

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I had a feeling they wouldn't be edible, no idea they'd be toxic though! There's no animals or children around to accidentally eat them, but I'll probably take them off anyway. I prefer my seed potatoes. Much harder to lose, and easier to plant, I think!

The story about Solanine poisoning is slightly worrying.. I don't have much faith in shop-bought foods as it is, but when things like this happen, even though they're quite rare, it's still disconcerting. I'd much rather stick to trusted varieties and grow them myself. At least I know everything there is to know about them then. :)

Reaction score
We also had this for the first time this year, sent us into a complete panic.

We have a dog, so quickly removed them out of his reach (once we had researched what they are and what they can do).

I have seen a few articles about using them to grow potatoes, so may give it a try.

Ask a Question