Small trees next to house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first post here. I admit, I am not knowledgeable when it comes to horticulture.

We have what I thought was a small bush, at the front of our house. It turns out that they are 3 small trees intertwined, to appear as a bush. I've kept them pruned to an inverted pear shape, 2m 80cm high and around 1m 40cm at the widest point. The 3 trunks are around 15-20cm wide.

They are 1M away from the bay window at the front of our house, and on clay. So the key concern here, is a potential for subsidence.

They surveyor did not pick up on the trees/bush when we purchased the property in early '15, it was about 1m 80cm high back then.

I think they are two beech trees and one maple.

My question is, should I simply continue to prune, reduce in size or take out completely.

As mentioned, my primary concern is not to cause any damage to our property. Bearing in mind, the bay window foundations are more shallow than the rest of the property.

Opinions greatly appreciated, thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good to have you on the forum Peter - Welcome :)

If those are Maple and Beech , I would dig them out now while you can. They have the potential to cause trouble for sure as they are really large. Lovely trees though, and it would be nice if there was a place they could be moved to where there is a LOT more space, and definitely away from buildings.

If it's as dry in London as it is down here in Kent, you'll probably need water to soften up the soil a bit before you start digging.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. For now I may prune it by 1M, and then get some professional advice.

Could trees less than 3M high cause issues?
I've been told by an arboculturist, that the trees are actually 2 Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea) and 1 Field maple (Acer campestre).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am puzzled as to why you asked for advice here really. Dogwood is fine. Maple is not fine.

Ask a Question