Small fuyu persimmon tree leaning

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a fuyu persimmon tree that I planted 1 year ago. I had kept it in a cage (you can see in background of the picture) up until a few days ago. The roots seem built up but it looks like the trunk itself just can't hold the weight.

What should I do here?

Attachments

• IMG_2559.jpg
    IMG_2559.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would use the 3 stake method of straightening the tree. Get 3 stakes and drive them into the ground about 120 degrees apart and tie the tree LOOSELY to the stakes while holding the tree straight. Have enough slack in the string to allow the tree to move during a wind.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It gets a lot of sun. For context I have another persimmon tree about 10 feet away without a leaning problem.

How do I check the P and K? I'm still new to growing fruit trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It gets a lot of sun. For context I have another persimmon tree about 10 feet away without a leaning problem.

How do I check the P and K? I'm still new to growing fruit trees
A fertilizer has 3 values, N-P-K. That stands for up-down-all around. The underground and general turgidity seem to be lacking in floppy plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A fertilizer has 3 values, N-P-K. That stands for up-down-all around. The underground and general turgidity seem to be lacking in floppy plants.
I think the reason it is floppy is because it was kept in that screen cage and the trunk never had a chance to move much. Sort of like a broken leg in a cast, it gets weak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think the reason it is floppy is because it was kept in that screen cage and the trunk never had a chance to move much. Sort of like a broken leg in a cast, it gets weak.
I have 2 of them started to replace one we lost in a straight line wind. I have been interested since they froze back this winter but are up again...my luck they will turn out to be grafted but I actually do not know? I love picking the fruit while cleaning up fall leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 2 of them started to replace one we lost in a straight line wind. I have been interested since they froze back this winter but are up again...my luck they will turn out to be grafted but I actually do not know? I love picking the fruit while cleaning up fall leaves.
Virtually all japanese persimmons are grafted. I also had two and the deer killed one. I replaced the living one with a pear tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would staking it make this worse?
If it were staked so as to be immobile it would make it worse. That is what happened to it to begin with. But, if staked as I recommended it will have enough slack or play in the strings to be able to move and strengthen the trunk and not blow over. If just left as is it will soon be laying on the ground. As the tree grows its root system also grows and holds the tree in place so it will not blow over in a wind. But this particular tree was held basically immobile and while the roots grew the trunk did not because it could not move and it only grew upwards. You can stake it with 2 stakes but not as successfully as with 3.

Ask a Question