Annuals that do well in small containers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of dozen attractive pots which would be ideal for annuals. However, they're only about 8 inches wide and 8 inches deep.

Looking for suggestions as to what annuals might do well in small pots. I imagine they'll dry out very quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
How small of a container are you talking about? Because there are all kinds of Dwarf or mini size perinnials that can be used. However there are several pinks that will work. Some are tender perinnials or hardy annuals. There are a lot of mini hostas that you can plant in very small containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How small of a container are you talking about? Because there are all kinds of Dwarf or mini size perinnials that can be used. However there are several pinks that will work. Some are tender perinnials or hardy annuals. There are a lot of mini hostas that you can plant in very small containers.
8 inches wide and 8 inches deep. So not tiny. In the past, things don't do well in them - I guess because they dry out so quickly. Even twice daily watering doesn't seem enough. Maybe some kind of drip irrigation would help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good old geraniums always work, and put up with a bit of dry treatment. If you stick some sedums in as well, they will fill out the pot, hang over the sides, and add a mulching layer on top to boot.
The good thing is that you can move these around a bit, and when dead headed, you can stick the poshest one up front!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pelargoniums, pansies and marigolds would be my choices for colour and ease of maintenance.. Saucers under the pots help, or a tray if there are a group of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a couple of dozen attractive pots which would be ideal for annuals. However, they're only about 8 inches wide and 8 inches deep.

Looking for suggestions as to what annuals might do well in small pots. I imagine they'll dry out very quickly.
Begonias, Lobelia. Bubblegum Petunias, Potato Plant,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have some trays (plastic boot trays) that I'd planned to use to stand potted strawberries on. The strawberries are now planted out in beds so I can use them for my annual pots. I'd forgotten all about them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sounds like you need to improve the water holding capacity of your soil mix. I would add more organic matter and vermiculite to it so you don't have to water twice a day. So far as plants go some of that will depend on how much sun you get. In my case I have lots of trees and shade so sunshine hours are limited. I'm a big fan of the regular Impatiens for their constant flowering and the New Guinea Impatiens for their larger blooms.

Ask a Question