Small Watermelon Plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in USA Delaware, Zone 7A, and am trying to grow watermelons for the first time. I'm doing three different types, Congos (seedless), Ultra Cool Hybrid (seedless) and Crimson Sweet (seeded).

I started some of my seeds indoors as long as 45 days ago. I did the in quart-size Pete-Pots to make transplanting them easier. I kept them on a heating matt and kept the soil at about 70º - 72º. I planted them in large 15 gallon outside in a sunny-area on the driveway, to keep them warm. While its regulary been in the mid-70's during the day, it's been going down to the high 40's at night. It's probably been a little warmer on the driveway.

My plants are still very small, maybe a few inches at best. Am I doing something wrong?

Did I start too soon?
If I did start too soon, will the plants still produce, or should I start over?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Watermelons are hot weather plants. Any temperature below 55F will slow growth and anything below 45F will basically stop growth. Your plants will eventually grow out of this non-growth but you will be better off and have much stronger plants if you just start over when your soil temperature in the peat container stays at a minimum of 70F, 85F is preferred. Do not transplant into the 15 gallon container until the soil temperature about 3 inches deep is maintained at a minimum of 65F.

Last edited:

Ask a Question