Sioux Crape Myrtle question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Superthrive is 1.25 mL or 1\4 teaspoon per gallon water. It promotes tip growth. Bushiness is a good way to describe it. This is both the roots and the above ground parts of the plant. It wont make a plant bigger, just bushier, if that makes sense. Chuck is describing a mild hormone stimulant. Good idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I looked at that already but thanx. I was looking at the leaves again on the tree and noticed something weird. I was concerned with the coloration change but, if you look at this new photo the leaves have a line of color change. M wondering now if it isn't the black mulch I put down. It stains my hands when it's new, is it possible the tree is sucking this up from the soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The blackish is what was exposed to the sun, and the green was covered under another leaf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The blackish is what was exposed to the sun, and the green was covered under another leaf
The sun has nothing to do with this. If it were sunscald the black on the leaves would be white or a cream color. If the green areas are getting larger it is a good sign. If the black is getting larger a bad sign.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That black stuff looks like sooty mold. Check on the underside of the surrounding leaves and look for insects. How long has this black been on the plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has slowly progressed over the time frame since I planted it. It's all surprising me cause the overall health appears better than when I first got it. Leaves were green but almost dried up. I'll look under the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see any insects under or on top of the leaves. And the underside of all the leaves are green. The discoloration seems to be only on the top of the leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't see any insects under or on top of the leaves. And the underside of all the leaves are green. The discoloration seems to be only on the top of the leaves.
Then that is sooty mold or sometimes called honeydew. It is a sugary substance in the feces of insects, more than likely aphids. The insects drop their excrement and it falls to the top of the leaf underneath. Look on the underside of leaves all over the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see insect damage. Spray with soapy water. If any aphids are still there this will kill them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you find no insects what happened was when you bought the tree, the seller saw the insects and sprayed the tree with something and killed the insects. I doubt if there are any there now. The black stuff will disappear. However, everything else we have discussed still applies.

Ask a Question