Please advise on creating a hybrid crape myrtle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am so excited about the new Early Bird crape myrtles (semi dwarf crape with green leaves) which bloom up to 120 days starting in the middle of May. However, I was wanting a crape that has burgundy foliage and a little bit larger. What would the foliage, size, and bloom time be if I plant two crape myrtles (Delta Moonlight - burgandy foliage/white flowers, 10 feet tall) with an Early Bird white crape myrtle in the same hole? What would the foliage color look like and how would the bloom time change?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Both trees in the same hole? Probably both will be stunted. A trees DNA doesn't change. Neither will change colors. However, if next year you collect seeds and somehow manage to germinate them there will probably be a change in the new tree. What that might be, since crepe myrtles are probably hybrids anyway, no one could possibly tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, both trees in the same hole. You mentioned some points to consider. In case you're interested, this is where I got the idea - see the bottom of the page. www.crapemyrtle.com

Both trees in the same hole? Probably both will be stunted. A trees DNA doesn't change. Neither will change colors. However, if next year you collect seeds and somehow manage to germinate them there will probably be a change in the new tree. What that might be, since crepe myrtles are probably hybrids anyway, no one could possibly tell.
https://www.crapemyrtle.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you read that, they still aren't changing the colors. It's simply forcing them to grow together so you end up with both colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you read that, they still aren't changing the colors. It's simply forcing them to grow together so you end up with both colors.
I read that too and I don't believe 2 trees in the same hole is possible. Unless it's a great big hole. What about the sunlight being blocked on one side of each tree. What about encircling roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I read that too and I don't believe 2 trees in the same hole is possible. Unless it's a great big hole. What about the sunlight being blocked on one side of each tree. What about encircling roots
I wonder if they would be stunted at first but eventually start to fuse and behave like a single tree (in regards to sunlight, root expansion, etc...).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wonder if they would be stunted at first but eventually start to fuse and behave like a single tree (in regards to sunlight, root expansion, etc...).
Trees are not the Borg. They cannot fuse or assimilate. They are a separate entity and any other plant close by is a competitor.
When one plants a tree encircling roots are always a concern. When a tree is taken from a container to plant in the ground precautions must be taken to prevent this encircling. This is why one should always take a box knife and make a cut down the side of the ball of roots. This is called scoring. This will stop any root that is growing in a circular pattern. Now imagine 2 trees growing close together. Both have had the scoring done. They cannot encircle themselves but what about the close by tree. One tree cannot know what the other is going to do. Thus encircling is probable, especially in a roundish type hole.
Now lets say that the roots didn't encircle and literally choke each other to death. What is underground where these two trees are planted. If one tree makes a mass of underground roots just think of what two will do. It would be like a plant in a root bound pot except that eventually the root will go out into the existing soil. I can see a watering issue here also. Root bound plants are just about impossible to water because of tightly entertwined roots. I just don't see how two trees living on separate root systems can live in the same hole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Trees are not the Borg. They cannot fuse or assimilate. They are a separate entity and any other plant close by is a competitor.
When one plants a tree encircling roots are always a concern. When a tree is taken from a container to plant in the ground precautions must be taken to prevent this encircling. This is why one should always take a box knife and make a cut down the side of the ball of roots. This is called scoring. This will stop any root that is growing in a circular pattern. Now imagine 2 trees growing close together. Both have had the scoring done. They cannot encircle themselves but what about the close by tree. One tree cannot know what the other is going to do. Thus encircling is probable, especially in a roundish type hole.
Now lets say that the roots didn't encircle and literally choke each other to death. What is underground where these two trees are planted. If one tree makes a mass of underground roots just think of what two will do. It would be like a plant in a root bound pot except that eventually the root will go out into the existing soil. I can see a watering issue here also. Root bound plants are just about impossible to water because of tightly entertwined roots. I just don't see how two trees living on separate root systems can live in the same hole.

Thanks for the detailed description. That helps.

Ask a Question