Sioux Crape Myrtle question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I bought a couple Sioux Crape Myrtle and they are about a week and a half planted now. Was just curious if the color changes in the leaves and branches look normal? They were all dark green when I first got the trees, but now have changed. Some areas are still dark green while others have changed, and it doesnt appear to be new growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I bought a couple Sioux Crape Myrtle and they are about a week and a half planted now. Was just curious if the color changes in the leaves and branches look normal? They were all dark green when I first got the trees, but now have changed. Some areas are still dark green while others have changed, and it doesnt appear to be new growth.View attachment 55323View attachment 55324
It is not normal for changes to be this drastic but what is probably happening is just a bad case of transplant shock and the plant should grow out of it. Did you put anything into the hole or mix anything into the soil? Please show a picture of the base of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dug the hole, got rid of native soil, replaced with miracle grow organic potting soil, then watered in.

Attachments

• 15610477124898378710838477559908.jpg
    15610477124898378710838477559908.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I dug the hole, got rid of native soil, replaced with miracle grow organic potting soil, then watered in.
When one plants a tree he should ALWAYS use the native soil as backfill. You shouldn't even mix fertilizer in with it. What you have effectively done is limit the outward growth of the root system. The roots of the tree will want to stay in that super rich fertilized soil and will not move outward. They will grow in a circle and in time will become what is know as encircling roots, which can severely affect a tree. Your tree is suffering from severe transplant and fertilizer shock. You should dig up the tree and replant. Do not dig a round hole but instead a squarish hole. The hole should be just deep enough to allow the root flare to be exposed and no deeper. When your tree regains its health and looks normal again fertilize on the top of the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I planted the tree based on the instructions I received with them from the nursery. Thank you for the information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, I planted the tree based on the instructions I received with them from the nursery. Thank you for the information.
If you were planting a tomato plant it would be correct but trees are different. You should take that picture to that so called nursery and have them explain it. Let me know what they say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When one plants a tree he should ALWAYS use the native soil as backfill. You shouldn't even mix fertilizer in with it. What you have effectively done is limit the outward growth of the root system. The roots of the tree will want to stay in that super rich fertilized soil and will not move outward. They will grow in a circle and in time will become what is know as encircling roots, which can severely affect a tree. Your tree is suffering from severe transplant and fertilizer shock. You should dig up the tree and replant. Do not dig a round hole but instead a squarish hole. The hole should be just deep enough to allow the root flare to be exposed and no deeper. When your tree regains its health and looks normal again fertilize on the top of the soil.
After one year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After one year.
You are correct. I should have stated that, but, in my mind everyone uses organic fertilizers in which case it is 4-6 months but with synthetics/chemicals at least a year. It will take 4-6 months for the tree to regain its health and growth. If it were me I'd take the tree back, retrieve my money and go to a different nursery. There really should be some sort of reparations for this type of thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You are correct. I should have stated that, but, in my mind everyone uses organic fertilizers in which case it is 4-6 months but with synthetics/chemicals at least a year. It will take 4-6 months for the tree to regain its health and growth. If it were me I'd take the tree back, retrieve my money and go to a different nursery. There really should be some sort of reparations for this type of thing.
I dunno..Its really hard to kill a crepe myrtle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will try to help you save your tree. First, remove the tree and wash away all of that potting soil. Dig a new hole shallower than the first
one. Your tree is buried too deep. Backfill with native soil. The root flare should be visible after planting. DO NOT cover the root flare or let mulch touch the trunk,. Go to a nursery or big box store and get a small bottle of SuperThrive. Apply as a soil drench as per directions and DO NOT FERTILIZE. Do not be surprised if your tree loses all of its leaves. Do not let the soil DRY more than 1/2 an index finger deep. Keep moist but not wet. Use the SuperThrive every other watering.

Ask a Question