Catawba Crape Myrtle Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I recently purchased a Catawba Crape Myrtle online and planted it once it arrived. My soil is not great (New construction home in New Jersey), and is heavy clay. I added some organic planting mix and slow release fertilizer in the hole with the plant. I don't know anything about planting, but was hoping to grow the tree in my yard. When the tree was received, it wasn't full with leaves, and I think some leaves might be wilting a little. I attached some pictures for advice. I am hoping to keep it alive, and let it grow into a beautiful tree.

Attachments

• IMG_5722.JPG
    IMG_5722.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_5723.JPG
    IMG_5723.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_5721.JPG
    IMG_5721.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Don't worry--your newly planted myrtle looks fine. It is quite common for "transplant wilt" to happen--the plant is adjusting to new conditions and will likely recover.
Crepe Myrtles are naturally a shrub with several trunks. You may have some pruning to do over the next two or three years. If you can, let the myrtle have two or three trunks. It is a much more natural look, and adds to the strength of the tree/shrub.
When we moved here on the farm, there was a huge white crepe myrtle that was overgrown and had multiple trunks. Here is what it looks like now:
White crepe Myrtle 1.jpg

Be patient, your lovely purple Catawba will grow and thrive!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Glad to hear. How often would you recommend I water it, and should i surround the plant with new mulch?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Water your myrtle when the soil is dry to a depth of about 2". Give the tree a good drink--the top of the soil should "shimmer". Don't just sprinkle the soil, give the tree at least two gallons. Use your own good judgement as to how much and how often.
If you want to mulch, make a volcano of the mulch, not an Alp. Keep the mulch away from the trunk because mulch packed against the tree's bark can invite boring insects. Here is an image of proper mulching.

th

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here in SC you could probably grow it in cracks in the sidewalk. They'll quite literally take over the landscaping here in our nice sandy soil.. I wish I was more help for NJ residents.. lol

Ask a Question