One more question;). Crape myrtle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How should a crape myrtle look this time of the year? We had a few at our old house but they were up a hill so I couldn't see them very will. I'm wondering if this is how they looking in the fall?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 376
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Crape myrtles are deciduous so they will lose their leaves in the fall same as any other deciduous tree. It's such a low maintenance shrub that once established doesn't need any special attention unless you live in zone 6 or lower, which you obviously don't. I would look for 3 things and if none are present I wouldn't sweat it.
1. Sooty black mold on the leaves which I highly doubt you have from what I can see on the pictures.
2. White powdery mildew on the leaves, again I can't see any in the pictures.
3. Leaf spot fungus which would result in a bunch of brown spots on the leaves...don't see any.

The soil in the picture looks a tad dry but everything around the crape is lush and green and since crapes are pretty drought tolerant I wouldn't think it was under watered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The soil is actually pretty wet...I just bought a moisture tester for our soil and it seemed way more wet than I expected. I also think it looks dry sometimes but I'll keep checking it.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Then I wouldn't worry about it. I did a lot of research into different Crape Myrtles because I want to grow a couple as bonsai. They are maintenance free especially in warmer climates like yours. Sadly, I've went through 2 packets of seeds with no success yet :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Then I wouldn't worry about it. I did a lot of research into different Crape Myrtles because I want to grow a couple as bonsai. They are maintenance free especially in warmer climates like yours. Sadly, I've went through 2 packets of seeds with no success yet :(

That's a bummer! We brought the tree in already partially grown. It is funny that the ones at my old house in San Diego didn't thrive and I can't fathom what was wrong with that climate;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Some nurseries in my area have a few different types of crape myrtles for sale but they are all multi trunked. I want to have a crape myrtle bonsai tree with one trunk so unless I get lucky and run across a baby for sale with one trunk I need to get these seeds to work. I'll probably try again after Christmas. Same with azaleas. I can't get those stubborn seeds to germinate either :poop:

Ask a Question