Should I cut this down

Reaction score
i don't know what type of tree this is but its getting bigger and really close to my house. Need advise on what to do with it
I have no idea why people plant things so close to the house. I guess they just figure it will never get that big !! :) It's sad to have to remove the tree. If it means trouble for your home and trimming won't fix it then you should. If you keep it in hopes trimming will help and it doesn't you will be sorry.

I know the spot your in... we had a huge tree right next to our home and for years we trimmed it but the base of the tree just got too big. It started to cause problems with our home and we were worried the roots would damage the foundation. :( We eventually had to have it removed.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.
Danyel :)

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
It shouldn't be touching the house. Trim that part back. It will scratch the paint on your house. Another thing is that, it might continue to grow and the root system will do harm to the foundation of the house. So what's more important to you, the house or the plant?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
WOW - that is a beautiful tree, I would die to have that! I say you don't cut it down, just give it a little trim. I love trees and hedges, they add such beauty to our surroundings. I say definitely don't kill it. Unless of course it is indeed growing under your house then I would consider it because you wouldn't want to lose your house over a tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in fear that the trees that are placed near my home would come through my foundation. My husband got them removed. There were 5 tall pine trees that did not look all that healthy or bushy, so it really made the yard look better than not.

Reaction score
Yes, it is too close. Its roots could start causing problems for your foundation and branches may scratch the siding and such. Some people do not think very far down the road when they put in a shade tree. It would be a good idea to remove that one and plant another tree farther away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is a nice tree. It seems that you are going to have to have it removed so there is no unwanted damage caused.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really hate to see trees killed for no other reason than it is in the way of humans. Why did you let it get so big? When it was smaller you could have transplanted it. Now it's roots are likely intertwined and pushing against your foundation. I don't see any other choice but to cut it down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Primal, the tree was there when the poster bought the house, and obviously had been there for a while, much past the transplant size.
You are right in that it ought to be cut down, and the stump either treated or ground out so the tree won't sprout from the stump.
This tree wasn't just in the way of humans, it also posed a real threat to the house.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There really is not a "transplant size". Because the tree is wedged up against the house and likely has taken root in the foundation and/or pipes, it will have to be killed. But had this tree been out in the open, it would have been possible to dig it up and plant it elsewhere. Adult trees can be transplanted when someone buys a lot and builds a house in what was once a field, and they don't want to wait twenty years to have mature trees in their yard. I am sure if a tree is big the transplanting process is difficult, and very expensive, however.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
That tree could be trimmed quite a bit, but for the long term I would look for a replacement. You might want to think about something a bit smaller, problem is there is a tendency to plant things way to close to the house so unless you want something like a miniature Japanese Maple why not opt for something like a lilac tree, they are pretty and much more compact, visually the space would open up but you could add a container or Hosta or something to help fill ground level. But yea, trees that close to the side of the house is not a good idea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is a beautiful tree and it looks like it is young... you may be able to uproot and transplant it elsewhere in your yard. I would not cut down. Its roots may be deep but if you dig down and around you may be able to pull it from its spot and keep it. Its so pretty, would be a shame to kill it.

Ask a Question