Share Your Plant Warnings - know before planting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello all,

I love morning glories and I was just about to go a bit bananas with throwing seeds everywhere when I read one of the threads on here, talking about how hard they are to get rid of once they're in. What plants should be planted with caution, and why? I know mint and its relatives can spread like wildfire and is hard to get rid of, and wisteria can have the unwelcome effect of devouring nearby plants/trees...what else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Horseradish, Tetters has a horror story about it taking over a village, personally I know you don't have to leave much when you dig it for it to be back. Same goes for root artichokes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The following plants are on your Ohio invasives List:

1.Ailanthus altissima, Tree of heaven
2.Alliaria petiolata, garlic mustard
3. Ampelopsis brevipedunculata, porcelainberry
4. Azolia pinnata, pinnate mosquitofern
5. Berberis vulgaris, common barberry (this one is very medicinal, I suggest grow it in containers if you need it)
6. Butomius umbellatus, flowering rush
7. Celostrus orbicularis, Asian bittersweet
8. Centaurea stoebe ssp. micranthos, spotted knapweed
9. Dipsacus fullonum, common teasel
10. Dipsacus laciniatus, cutleaf teasel

To see the rest of this list (Another 53 invasive plants!), do a Google search on "invasive plants agri.Ohio.gov".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Chamaeleon plant - Houttuynia
Pennywort - Hydrocotyle
Mexican Feather Grass - Stipa tenuissima
Japanese Bloodgrass - Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra'
Kikuyugrass - Pennisetum clandestinum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told they had banned agapanthus in Australia because it was so virulent in their climate, then I read a piece about a house being saved from a bush fire by the agapanthus that had grown so densely it formed a firebreak.

Japanese knotweed was introduced as a foliage plant, in Japan it grows on volcanoes, so it can establish itself almost anywhere. It is now rife all over the country, but actually we only have plants of one sex here, so all that spread has been from root cuttings. I reckon there must be a bio-terrorist spreading it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was told they had banned agapanthus in Australia because it was so virulent in their climate, then I read a piece about a house being saved from a bush fire by the agapanthus that had grown so densely it formed a firebreak.

Japanese knotweed was introduced as a foliage plant, in Japan it grows on volcanoes, so it can establish itself almost anywhere. It is now rife all over the country, but actually we only have plants of one sex here, so all that spread has been from root cuttings. I reckon there must be a bio-terrorist spreading it.
Well this is about to send me down such an internet rabbit hole as you wouldn't believe XD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Several species of bamboo can be invasive and hard to control, in Ohio. Running bamboos are more invasive than clumping bamboos. For more information about how different bamboo types perform in your state, do a Google search on "bamboo
Chadwick Arboretum & Learning Gardens OSU Ohio".

Hope this is useful. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My five are very fast-spreading and resistant to easy removal except by chemical means. The Bloodgrass is even difficult to control chemically.
Another one is Four-o’clock Mirabilis jalapa. It reseeds prolifically and develops a big tuberous root that can be difficult to remove. Not a problem in zone 7 or so, but here it’s a real pain.

Ask a Question