Can tomatoes share a stake with pole beans?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’m looking for ways to save space in my garden and I’m wondering if anyone has ever planted pole beans that share a stake with tomatoes. Does it work or does it just become a tangled mass of leaves and vines?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I planted a spaghetti squash near to tomato plants. The squash plant ended up growing into, around, over the tomato plants encircling them. Both still produced. Squash have those tendrils that really grip things including tomato leaves and stems. Beans don’t quite grip as well not having any tendrils like cucumbers or some types of squash. Some of the determinant types of tomatoes don‘t get very tall. The bean could use the upper portion on the stake.

I use a ton of bamboo in my garden. There’s often a creative way to stake vegetables. bamboo or otherwise poles along with some string, you might be able to bridge the beans over the tomatoes. Some tomatoes benefit from a little extra leaf cover to shade the fruit from sun scald.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It will turn into a tangled mess, btdt.

Im doing bush beans with my tomatoes this year. Also root vegetables.

Personally I don't like pole beans simply because they tend to tangle though they do tend to produce more.

Ask a Question