Sevin Dust

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Do you use sevin dust as a vegetable gardening insect repellent?

Attachments

• sevin dust- 21.JPG
    sevin dust- 21.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't used this product in many years. At one time it was THE insecticide but today there are many other better and much safer products available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I haven't used this product in many years. At one time it was THE insecticide but today there are many other better and much safer products available.
I would welcome a link to or a suggestion of any of those products.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would welcome a link to or a suggestion of any of those products.
The best insecticide on the market today whether it be chemical or organic is a product with a spinosad base. This stuff is distilled from a soil bacteria only found in soils located at rum distillers in the Caribbean. It is safe for humans and animals up to day of harvest. It kills about all garden insects. What it doesn't kill as effectively are mites and thrips and these are killed by contact with the spray. Other insects are killed by ingestion and contact. It will also kill all caterpillars but not a fast as a product containing Bt (Bacillus thuringensis). I am not sure how it is made but it is also made from another soil bacteria. It is also very effective as a soil drench for root eating pests, ants and most insect larvae. Bt is the absolute best at killing all caterpillars. It kills by ingestion and when a caterpillar or worm eats one bite of this stuff he immediately stops feeding and is dead with 4-6 hours. It takes spinosad about 36 hours to kill caterpillars. Bt is also completely safe for humans and pets up to day of harvest. Neem Oil is also a must have for the home gardener. This stuff is made from the seeds of the Neem tree and I think is cold pressed. This stuff is a 3 in 1 product. It is a miticide, a pesticide and a fungicide but in my opinion it is best at killing eggs from harmful egg laying insects such as stink bugs. It is excellent as a horticultural oil also. It also is safe up to day of harvest. Sevin was a good product in its day but today there is really no reason or need to use the stuff. And it is poison to pets and humans.

Ask a Question