Compost from saw dust

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Compost from saw dust is not a familiar phrase since it has practically no nutritive value. However, it can be fortified by mixing with urea. Start by spreading out the layers of sawdust and fertilizer alternately while ensuring that the moisture content remains constant. Then turn occasionally until it cooks. This method can be used to make compost from sugarcane bagasse and maize stover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we cut down 8 trees two years ago, and had the company leave some shavings in a pile for us. we use the pile for mulch. and the pile is still there. it was a big pile to begin with. aside from that, that is all we will do with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
My husband is a hobby wood worker, so we have various types of sawdust. The mesquite I use to smoke meats (chunks, shavings, all soaked for at least 8 hours and then added to the coals as needed) Cedar shavings/sawdust we use as mulch in the flower beds. Hackberry trimmings we just burn, and then put the ashes on fallow vegetable garden beds.
We don't use fresh sawdust as mulch, since I' ve read that it robs nitrogen from the soil. I don't know if that's true, but since we aren't desperate for mulch, we just use what we know is working.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would have never thought of sawdust as an addition to the compost, but I guess it makes sense when you think about mixing it with fertilizer. I am not too familiar with the processes of composting, but I would say that this seems to be a good way to form and share your compost. I could be reaching, but that is what came to my mind.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think we should all help!
Ok, but we might have to cut down a tree for this to work!! ;)

If you're adding the sawdust to a compost pile that doubles as a worm bin, here is a pretty interesting time lapse video:

It's a little less than two and a half minutes long, so won't take too much time!! :)

(I felt the need to contribute something besides just frivolity. :ROFLMAO:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Over here, sawdust is being used as part of the planting medium that is mixed with soil and rice husks or coconut coir. I think that nutritive value is not an issue with sawdust because it can serve as a thickener or extender like in foods. The biodegradables like vegetable trimmings can be dissolved by the earthworm and the sawdust will be included in that dissolution which would produce the compost.

Ask a Question