Seeds from Polokwane, South Africa

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Found this on my lawn....not a tree in sight? Rodent or bird perhaps dropped it there. About 10mm long. Please assist and ID. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
IMG-20210905-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210905-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20210905-WA0000.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is intriguing. So these are one-seeded fruits that are 10 cm. in length? That should narrow down the possibilities. I am not familiar with it, but I'll try to do some research to change that. I suppose it could be either a native plant or a cultivated exotic.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
This is intriguing. So these are one-seeded fruits that are 10 cm. in length? That should narrow down the possibilities. I am not familiar with it, but I'll try to do some research to change that. I suppose it could be either a native plant or a cultivated exotic.
I am an idiot 10mm not cm.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No worries, but the field does widen again. Lets keep thinking about it. It is interesting that the seeds were dropped both with and without the fruit layers still attached. Were they all dropped in the same spot, or did you find them scattered all over your lawn?

Ask a Question