Free seeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing?

I'm only growing vegetables and salads/fruits really.

2 kids so it all helps!

Very new to growing and wondering if there are any schemes or anything where you can obtain free seeds.

I'm happy to pay just wondered

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pound shop do packets with five different sorts of seeds in. In the salad one you might get fifteen or so moneymaker tomato seeds, a dozen minibel tomatoes, fifty iceberg lettuce, fifty radish and five or six cucumber seeds. If you are good at getting reasonable germination that is good value. they have various selections, Christmas dinner veg, colourful veg, spicy selection, herbs, and so on. They are a bit random about stock, and it isn't always the right time of year, but most things will keep over to next spring stored reasonably.

Saved seed, runner beans are the classic one. tomatoes you need to scrape the mush out and let it ferment a bit before you dry them, but half a shop tomato would probably give you most of the seed you need for next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My local lending-library has a "seed catalog" where an old card catalog was converted to hold small baggies of seeds and I can "checkout" seeds for my garden. Things like this have popped up at several US libraries since about 2009.

Even on a TIGHT budget a pack of seeds can make economic sense as single pack of seeds can be made to go a long way. A pack of tomato seeds has hundreds of seeds and you need less than 10. The seeds will stay viable for years so that one time purchase will last a decade. I keep my seed packs in a plastic box tucked into the back of the refrigerator for the 9 months a year I am not actively starting seed transplants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If there is a local garden club or horticulture school near you, you should make inquiries about free seed and other resources. You also might be able to arrange to order seeds collectively with other gardeners.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers everyone! Good to know! Probably just going to head round to Sainsbury's round the corner. They have a good cheap selection:D

Thankyou

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the USA, you can order good quality organic seeds from Baker Creek Seed Company at rareseeds.com, and they might ship internationally. It seems like I read about them shipping to Canada, but it may cost extra. I really like them because all their seeds are heirloom, organic, and non-GMO.

Ask a Question