Collecting Wildflower Seeds. Do They Need 2 B Freezed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello! Last fall I threw a large variety of wildflower seeds down. I dried out the spent flowers and I'm de-seeding them right now to plant this fall. Do I need to put them in the freezer to mimic a frost? If so, for how long? Thanks :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello! Last fall I threw a large variety of wildflower seeds down. I dried out the spent flowers and I'm de-seeding them right now to plant this fall. Do I need to put them in the freezer to mimic a frost? If so, for how long? Thanks :D
There is no easy answer for this. Google seed stratification.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would just drop the seeds where you want them. I know from experience that nature is better at giving the seeds what they need to grow.

I sprinkle the seeds in early winter (I usually wait just before the first decent snowfall to put them out). Since you're in California, seasons are much different for you than they are for me, so I would drop the seeds around the same time nature would drop them.

If you do choose to start some indoors, don't put them in the freezer. Put them in the fridge, instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also collecting the seeds from my wild flowers, and just kept them in a cool place. In the early spring, after a few weeks without snow, and just throw them where I want to see the flowers growing. The rest of the work, nature does it for me :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you do need to avoid putting the seeds in the freezer, the refrig should be cold enough to suggest winter and allow the seeds to go dormant for awhile. But as Chuck said google for a better answer.

Ask a Question