collecting rain water

Reaction score
I would like to collect rain water as we always end up in a mild drought over the summer. If I just use the water for my garden do I need anything special to collect the water? How would I prevent mosquito breeding and west nile virus. Would a cover on top be enough to prevent that?

Reaction score
I think those are great questions especially about the mosquitoes. I am waiting to hear the answers myself. I know they make rain barrels you can purchase. However, I am sure these would be easy to make at home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi, Missyann! Welcome to the forum!

You don't need anything special to collect rainwater. I know someone uses an old ice chest placed under the downspout for their rain gutters. I use two big storage tubs and in a good rain I can collect a few gallons that way. After the rain I remove the water from the bins and store it in plastic jugs for when I need it. Mosquitoes are not an issue, nor is algae growth, though the bins do need to be cleaned out periodically.

Reaction score
We are going to set up a collection system here at home and as zigs says a tight fitting lid works wonders. Also if you don't have a lid that will fit tightly try using the window screening that is sold in home improvement stores. Make sure the netting is tight on the top of the containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I collect rainwater too. I use a very old and big storage tub, so it's nothing very special. I think that any kind of a tub should be okay. As for mosquitoes, I usually run out of the rainwater quickly, after a few days, so it's not a problem.

Reaction score
My husband's Uncle used to throw a minnow in there, but when I tried it in a water garden the water got too hot and the minnow died.

If the water had been in the shade it might have worked out better!

Reaction score
My husband's Uncle used to throw a minnow in there, but when I tried it in a water garden the water got too hot and the minnow died.

If the water had been in the shade it might have worked out better!

Hmm!! Never thought of a minnow!! That's a great idea! I want to start collecting as well to start teaching my boys composting and collecting rainwater to maintain a garden. We live near a river though and the mosquitos are terrible!!! I need all the help I can get in keeping them away!!!

Reaction score
I would like to collect rain water as we always end up in a mild drought over the summer. If I just use the water for my garden do I need anything special to collect the water? How would I prevent mosquito breeding and west nile virus. Would a cover on top be enough to prevent that?

Thanks for asking this question! I definitely need help in keeping the mosquitos out and away!!!

Reaction score
I've never thought of using rainwater to water the plants. Well, besides putting them outside in the middle of calm rain for it. It seems like the lid thing would work though, in my opinion.

Reaction score
We have large rain water tanks, but we also have another separate tank in no way connected to the rain water to collect the run off from our Air conditioning, at this time of year it actually puts out a lot of water from humidity, which I mainly use on our permaculture garden.
If it is run all day it is not at all uncommon for the aircon to produce 35L or more an hour.

As for keeping mosquitoes away a good way to do that is put an aquarium air stone in the tank connect to an air pump for a couple of hours each day to keep the water moving, the cost very little to buy and run plus is oxygenates the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A couple of our gutters can be hooked up to rain barrels. The rain barrels are 55 gallon drums set up on cement bricks. Water spickets were added to the bottom of the barrels. The barrel being higher up gives enough water pressure to move the water where I want it from a hose. If a problem arises with mosquito larva I use mosquito dunks that kills the larva. It contains Bt-israelensis (Bt-i), a highly specific biological pesticide that is safe for fish and animals. In the winter I empty the barrels and disengage them from the gutters in case of hard freezes. Won't be long before they are all hooked up again. Wish I had a couple more rain barrels but they do take up a lot of room.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
last year i used two 50+ gallon rain barrels, they were clay color and i had a problem with algae. i replaced them with a 275 gallon container which i covered in 6 mill black plastic to keep the sun out. i wanted more capacity as i ran out of rain water last year. i have an automatic rain watering system with five separate zones

Attachments

• ep4f (1).png
    ep4f (1).png
    277.6 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF4087.JPG
    DSCF4087.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCF4234.JPG
    DSCF4234.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF4245.JPG
    DSCF4245.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 382
  • garden2.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 350
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ladies' tights stretched over the top of your rain-collecting vessels act as a very efficient netting.

Now that is just brilliant! Cheap, effective, and easy to replace if necessary! I'm going to have to remember this idea! I'll also have to start stocking up on cheap hose so that I have them when I need them - they have a number of good uses in the garden!

Ask a Question