Looking for free seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small space for a vegetable garden. I only need 4 seeds for each plant. The catalogs have 25 or more seeds. I live in Detroit Michigan. Where can I get a small amount of seeds?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted a bunch of pepper seeds about 3 weeks ago and about 70% germinated. They were all 2-4 years old. In my experience tomato seeds last longer than peppers. I know of no seeds that are only good for 1 season. So, 25 seeds are pretty cheap, especially from a place like www.SeedsNSuch.com where shipping is $2.99.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah seeds are pretty cheap so it's not really worth it for retailers top seem that small of quantity on most seeds. If they did it would be at a much higher price per seed. Most places you can get 25 seeds for only a few dollars. Some of the more rare variety seeds may come in smaller quantities though. Try the link @Chuck posted, also Gurney's, burpee, Baker Creek, edon brothers, heirloom seeds or Johnny's selected seeds. Those are just some that I use from time to time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah seeds are pretty cheap so it's not really worth it for retailers top seem that small of quantity on most seeds. If they did it would be at a much higher price per seed. Most places you can get 25 seeds for only a few dollars. Some of the more rare variety seeds may come in smaller quantities though. Try the link @Chuck posted, also Gurney's, burpee, Baker Creek, edon brothers, heirloom seeds or Johnny's selected seeds. Those are just some that I use from time to time.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've had good luck using seeds from supermarket veggies - peppers, bell and jalepeno and also tomatillo. Your mileage may vary. At least you get to eat the packaging.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Agree with Fractal on this one - if you want less than a handful of tomatoes, peppers, etc. just take the ones you buy from the local supermarket and use the seeds from them. Free...

Ask a Question