Is there a difference of the seeds if they were collected not from its original location?

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
So i want to buy some North American pine or fir tree seeds, but not i am not sure. I am my self from Europe, but i want to get pine or fir tree seeds that would look like just as they were grown in USA. So my question is... is there any difference if the seeds were collected somewhere in Europe of the same tree that grows in North America ? Or I need to get the seeds from USA that the three would be same as grown in USA. Because i found some seeds i want to get from Europe they are much cheaper, but i find out they were colleted in Europe and from USA web site they are more expensive and need to wait longer and so on. What do you think ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’d get seeds from the area I am from. Chances of being more successful are higher in perennial seeds so why not tree seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If it is the same species of plant the seeds will grow as that plant. However, if a plant is grown somewhere through a number of generations and people select for 'better' plants there will be some local adaptation. It shows up among vegetables that immigrants to Britain brought seed for and grew in allotments for long periods from saved seed, they are much better adapted to local conditions than seeds provided by seedsmen, even ones supposedly bred for this country.
Tree generations are much longer of course, but sourcing seed locally does have a chance of giving you an advantage.

Ask a Question