What's the difference in Manure?

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
P

Peace perfect peace

Greeting nose holder's,
Well if your getting into gardening your also getting into the verious chemicle and natural growing feeds,
Im going to spend a bit of time passing on my experience of natural feeds /improvements for soil and growing feeds,

Now this is'nt going tobe a few lines long, its a subject that has both history to when some manure's we're used and how they are made and how they arrive ready packed from both animals and birds,
Lets start with the two most available, Cow and horse, Or whats known as hot and cold manure,

Cow or as its termed cold manure comes from the cow in the form of a sloppy wet delivered manure and this passes through the animals one way delivery, ie it's back passage for the sold waste, that's only for the delivery of its waste produce, in this case it's made from its feed that is approx 90% grass "but can be fed during the winter via a mixed feed or dried hay) This is known as a cold manure because once the sloppy manure is delivered "body warm" it start's to reduce in heat and soon becomes cold, It's collected in the cow barns mixed with straw and stored in stacks and then after it's decomposed is used for adding to compost heaps "covered for speed of decomposting due to the heat of the heap and the decaying , it's also used as a soil improver by the farmer by spreading the composted heap over the open ground,
The larger farms have a grid method of collecting the liquid drained from this wet manure pre the straw collected slop, this collected wet mix of urine and waste food is stored under ground and later used to spray the land, So no waste here,

Horse/donkey,
Also known as hot manure are again the waste product of the animals food,
The reason its known as hot manure is due to the delivery and congesion system, the horse /donkey differ in the way their digestion system work, a bit like human these two animals tend to deliver a more soldid state of waste and as the horse/donkey deliver this plum shaped manure its form tends to keep the heat in the manure longer than the cow, Hence you'll offten read instructions to spread fresh horse manure around the rose and not up to the stem, its because the horse digestive system is different and produces a more solid packed / hotter type. Horse manure is richer than cow, its ideal for making compost and used just by it's self will improve soil,

Sheep again are grass eaters and again sheep manure is a solid form of delivered product and is good for the making of compost and adding as delivered to soil,
Its not as rich as horse but still worth usage,

Pig, Now we differ from the Pig's eating habbits, Pigs will dig deep to eat roots and also the top growth of grass they'll eat a big cross variety of foods and meal,
Pig manure can produce a lot of weeds when used as a soil improver, this is due to the pigs digestive system not fully breaking down its eaten food and also the cross section of feeds from veg to meat, the delivered waste produce can have solids but also slop? Added to the compost heap it will breakdown,

The birds,
Now we really do see a different delivery system here, Birds only have one delivery system ie one tube that both urine and waste food come through,
So the bird worlds manure is normly slop and rich in lime, Because the way the delivered bird manure stiffens to a crust like texture it can once dried be collected and added to compost in well spread and mixed portions, "not to much"
A very good fertilizer called guano is made 100% From bird droppings and if added as a slow acting feed (very little needed) is a well tried and tested fertilizer,
Well i think this will do for now and i hope for our new to gardening folk, this will give you some ideas as to manure useage and help you produce good healthy
products,
Remember we also have seaweed/comphrey plant / common nettle plants etc all have a place in the making of liquid feeds and aiding compost,

Tip, Good home made compost really is the key to good growing "But" If your growing indoors ie greenhouse etc a tip worth thinking about ref compost is this,
Home grown compost "made" outside full of humus, ie worm defication (shit) and other insects, all living under bug ideal conditions will multify no end if they end up in your greenhouse,
When you read about sowing seeds or planting plants or potting on and they say use such and such compost, they're talking about using sealed shop bought bags of compost, this compost has been sterilized and heat treated via packed and sealed, so all bugs etc are well dead and the chance of introducing more bugs etc are reduced?

Good gardening to you all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I see your a city person and don't know crap about cow manure as delivered from the cow.

Here in America the USA to be exact the settlers used cow manure for more than growing crops. it was burned as fuel in the winter on the tree less plains.
Rather than the sloppy wet mass you decribed came out as a damp pile in segments and were dried to use as winter heat along with the wild buffalo dung. Most every thing the cow ate was digested but many times you could find kerrnels of corn if fed whole corn nd some times even oats seed.

Only time you get the wet sloopy cow manure is when you switch them from winter hay (dry food) to the fresh green grass (wet food) in a pasture for a short time till their 3 Tummys adjust.

I grew up on a farm and followed a heard of cows many a day to day pasture and then back to the barn for evening milking. out to the night pasture and back again for the morning milking. I was 16 when I finally left the farm and cows.

Al

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi AI.
Now lets get something sorted before we even talk about any subject,
I dont talk crap about any subject and ive lived in the countryside for over 25 yrs now and the only difference your showing ref your reply is you dont like it when someone comes along and has anything to say about a subject i do know about,
Ive one of the local largest farms a mile away from our old farm house and this is Limousin cow's and bulls they're not milking stock but bred for beef, and i can assure you the drain system is still used today as i write this, and any fool would know if you leave any wet manure to dry it will be a hard fly infestered compacted lump, its nothing to do with summer/winter food, But the spreading of decease is .

Now because of mad cow problems from the past the keeping of herds of cows in a field here both in france and the uk cannot stay in the same field year after year, even the spreading of cow manure , the manure from one herd has to be used in a different field to stop any cattle carried decease being spread from herd to herd to herd And able to infest the soil,
Did you know that AI,,??
Less of the usage of Crap when or if your going to talk to me !! Got it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
There you go different countrys and the rules of keeping cattle.

Few farms here in the US pen their cattle in feed lots. OK some dairy farms keep them in loafing pens and feed nothing but grain and insulage but the major amount are free roaming on pasture. brought in to be milked 2 or 3 times aday.

Many are getting rid of their dairy cattle these days, many new storys of milk just being dumped.

Al

P

Peace perfect peace

AI
What you've said still does not give you or anyone else on this forum any right to tell any member they're talking Crap as you put it, if you choose to use the inter net in such a way ?? Then dont expect any respect from me.

What advise i gave out as an explanation was to help the new to gardening try to understand some "Not all" the difference between manure "Wet /dry/ very Limed/ Manure that's full of weed seeds (Donkey) etc etc

The USA may have cattle roaming large area's but the cattle all deliver manure milkers or beef cattle and you yourself have "Now" said it depends on the feed, I'd already pointed this out,
I went a little further than i really wanted by explaining the collection of the wet side of the delivered "by the cattle kept under cover" urination, grids under the cattle barns floor systems, and that was used for spraying the fields,
You'll never see collection grids under horse stables, Why AI ,,??? Would it be because horses dont urinate at the same time as they deliver horse manure?
If i can help anyone i will , But im not interested in the people who come out with remarks such as calling anyones remarks as "Crap"

So i'll leave it at that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Since I don’t really care for the direction this thread is going I thought I would add some excitement. Attached are some pictures of an accident down the road from us. A cattle hauler got run off the road and tipped onto its side. Of the 98 Black Angus aboard the truck, 36 lived. Since I am a fireman I was called up to help.
7E928907-D462-4754-B759-BB01F1ECFD2C.jpeg
72840EF6-45B1-4C99-AFDC-1D6B66A82233.jpeg
77536B33-1DB1-4DA1-B7EC-14820EFA5C93.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Beef tenderloin? I hope it was not wasted.

The problem with manure is in my garden. Dow chemical has ben selling a non decomposing family of herbicides that literally wiped my garden out this year. Production is maybe 20% of what we would normally have. 27 bags of black kow composted manure, supposedly a premium compost. Yeah right. Aminoclopyrolid and its two cousins should be banned. In fact, if a half life is longer than 12 months a chemical should be banned.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi DirtMechanic,
I agree ref chemicle this chemicle that, Dont get me wrong its a wonderful thing to test and have the answers to a lot of problems as far as medical things go,
We have adverts on the tv here every night telling us about parts of the world drinking dirty water etc and cattle enjoying a long "piss" while the child cups his hands a drinks,
But now more than ever we really do as a world need to look at what we're eating and how its been produced,
All the evidence is here "Now" just look at the size of people and why are they this size they are ? Because of the amount of food eaten and the fact its cheaper than it was years ago,And junk food, your not getting a good feed and your body isn't getting a fill of what it needs its getting a lot of fat producing junk and far to much of it,
If we feed both ourselves and the amimals we eat a load of junk then what are we doing "really",

What goe's in our mouths and the animals mouth is important because whats coming out the other end wont have the goodness we're used to in as much as manure or artificial feed is concerned, no wonder your getting a much less crop, its not doing the job the old manure did,
Here in france after many many years of production and "Use" a weed killer was found to cause cancer, this was tried and tested???
"GLysophate" made by a huge company thats got award after award, MONSANTO,
Its very difficult for the house wife to shop for good food because we're all brain washed by the greed factor, More,more, more And cheap as chips as the saying goe's, But we cant sort the worlds dringing water out, we cant stop decease spreading in those countries "why"
because they have little if anything worth sorting the problem out such as oil dimonds etc etc, they've nothing to offer,

The wet meat markets of china have been proven to be the cause of corona virus, But these markets are still going,
Will it take a war to stop this happening? this and other deceases are not bothered who the victims are and until this practice of what we eat and how its produced is sorted we'll keep having long term death,
Over weight people being killed by heart problems because your asking a body to carry this weight around and the pump cant stand the strain, sugar level problems etc etc all caused by bad living Not the good life some people think they're living,
It really is Wake up times,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Over the past few years i have had good luckusing composted alpaca manure , their feed is high grade much like the equine family and results in a more fertile manure aswell as being organic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
AI
What you've said still does not give you or anyone else on this forum any right to tell any member they're talking Crap as you put it, if you choose to use the inter net in such a way ?? Then dont expect any respect from me.

What advise i gave out as an explanation was to help the new to gardening try to understand some "Not all" the difference between manure "Wet /dry/ very Limed/ Manure that's full of weed seeds (Donkey) etc etc

The USA may have cattle roaming large area's but the cattle all deliver manure milkers or beef cattle and you yourself have "Now" said it depends on the feed, I'd already pointed this out,
I went a little further than i really wanted by explaining the collection of the wet side of the delivered "by the cattle kept under cover" urination, grids under the cattle barns floor systems, and that was used for spraying the fields,
You'll never see collection grids under horse stables, Why AI ,,??? Would it be because horses dont urinate at the same time as they deliver horse manure?
If i can help anyone i will , But im not interested in the people who come out with remarks such as calling anyones remarks as "Crap"

So i'll leave it at that.

IMHO. Any benefits quoted in the main context are lost. LOST due to the attitude of the author.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ya'll talking shit? I literally do not know what I am gonna use in the garden, as my compost piles really do not get hot enough for pastuerization and no way pasture fed compost is goin in there next year. I am on a horny dilemma.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, it should be very good. The wood shavings are fine.

By the way, thank you for bringing this thread to my attention. It is rather amazing, in more ways than one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I once got an offer of cow manure for my allotment from the dairy farm down the road "£8 for a trailer load". I was expecting something behind a landrover, got a tractor pulling a closed trailer about thirty foot long by about ten foot tall, Worked all weekend and covered the entire allotment about a foot deep.
Heed that warning about seed going through pigs, a friend grew the best crop of thistles I have ever seen.

Ask a Question