Will these peach seeds grow? What's wrong with them?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
IMG_20200517_160245.jpg

Hi everyone! Just for fun, I have always wanted to grow a peach tree from a store-bought peach (I know that the fruits will likely taste different from the store fruit but it just seems like a fun project).

I know that a peach seed is supposed to look like an almond... But every time I have opened a peach pit from a store bought peach, the seed doesn't look at all like what it's supposed to! The seeds are not hard, they are squishy. Also, they are not round, they are very thin and bowl shaped, as if someone pushed the top of the seed in.

I have done a lot of research online, and everyone says that it is very easy to grow a tree from a store bought fruit, but I have opened so many peaches now and they all have indented squishy bowl shaped seeds!

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Has anyone ever seen seeds such as these? Will they grow?

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You get those planted and you will see what they are, and how they grow. After starting germination, take a look at the pits, after six weeks. Don't be disappointed if there are no signs of germination. It may take up to three months for the seed to germinate. Don't plant the pit until it develops a good root that is at least half an inch (1.3 centimeters) long, and then plant it in soil in a pot. There's a lot of work to planting peach pits but people do all the time. Good luck

Ask a Question